Tablesaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading the posts lately about new tablesaws it has prompted me to view a couple. I have looked at the Fox with sliding carriage and the Sip with cast iron top. Not much more over here in Northern Ireland to look at apart from the Jet and Scheppach models which are probably outside my budget :cry: Anyway of the two I came away thinking the SIP is ahead with a smoother adjustments and a more solid fence. My only concern is the blade used, It is a thinner kerf than standard with a 25.4mm bore and the machine only spins at 3500rpm.
Do any members use one of these saws and if so do you notice the slower speed.
Any info??

Many thanks
Philip

Ps. I have no requirement for a dado blade, possibly in the radial arm but not in the table saw

Philip, can't comment on Sip versus Fox, but I think 3,500 RPM is pretty average blade speed. Mine TS runs at 3,400, I think. When thin kerf blades became more popular there was talk, marketing myth or not, that the thinner kerf would assist lower powered saws.. In essence there's most likely some truth there in that the motor will work less hard. The bore size has been mentioned before somewhere and it's an odd size but I'm sure there's reducing bushes available when upgrading the blade. By the way where your nearest Sip and Fox dealer?

Rgds

Noel

Noel,
The nearest SIP dealer is McBrides in Ballyclare. This is were I viewed the 2 saws. Also Browns in Ballynahinch sells the Fox range and is keen to deal.

Philip

In my opinion the most important thing is the guide fence it must be easy to use accurate and very sturdy when set, you will find that if all these things apply then you'll love the saw... :lol:

I must admit that when I visited Yandles show I liked the look of the Sip saw but I could set the guide fence out of true which just isn't good enough as you won't want to keep setting the fence after each cut?... :cry:

Maybe it just wasn't setup correctly but it's something you should try before you buy as they say... :idea:

Lee,
Can you elaborate more on what you found about the Sip fence as this was one factor in which I felt the Sip was superior with a solid fence, but could not say if it was true each time it was moved, by eye alone. :?

Thanks
Philip

PJ":11yyvkch said:
Lee,
Can you elaborate more on what you found about the Sip fence as this was one factor in which I felt the Sip was superior with a solid fence, but could not say if it was true each time it was moved, by eye alone. :?

Thanks
Philip

Ok I slowly moved the guide fence by the handle and took note on the far end of the guide, I could move and lock the fence at least 10mm without the far end moving at all?...i.e. you can lock it off out of square... :cry:

Try this out for yourself and hopefully the one you try will be fine but at the show the one I tried was bad. You really will regret not having a square and true guide trust me on this, I would rather have a cheaper saw with a good guide than an expensive one with a so so one!

I also looked at the SIP tablesaw at Yandles last week , and

The two guides that run up the C.I.table are not standard size or dovetailed, this would mean to me that some accessories on the market would not fit the cast iron top of a SIP table saw. But perhaps homemade guides would be easier to fit if needed perhaps without the usual slop that seems inherrent on table saws?

The saleman did show me a sliding table set up due for delivery May in the £200 range.

The saw was on offer at £449 incl. delivery at the show..

Peter
Are the slots not a metric version of the standard 3/4x3/8 slots on most American saws? The likes of the osborne should fit if so required having in-built adjustment. I have not measured the slots but a review in GW153 states that it has 19x10 slots.

Philip.

seaco":1jbxwbnf said:
Ok I slowly moved the guide fence by the handle and took note on the far end of the guide, I could move and lock the fence at least 10mm without the far end moving at all?...i.e. you can lock it off out of square... :cry:

I did it the other way round - tried to see how far I could move the far end off sqaure and then tighten the handle and see if the far end moved back. On all the saws at Yandles it didn't apart from the Kity 419. I though this was very disappointing.

Some-one in NI must deal in Kity surely?

I have not seen the kity over here and the local scheppach dealer is pushing the 2010/2500 and not stocking any kity. Also the reason for changing saw is I have got some larger projects including some sapele gates and a kitchen table and island. With these in mind I feel the kity and the scheppach 2010 are a bit on the small side. Point taken about the fence, I shall have another look at the sip saw with this in mind. Also contacted Woodford about there 804 saw but I am concerned about the 1 1/2 hp motor being slightly underpowered. They are to get back with a price for carriage and I think this will put this saw out of the running, which is a pity as it looks well engineered.

Philip

Phillip, think SIA are the Sheppach agents, aren't they? How'd you find them?

Rgds

Noel

Noel
SIA are in Roden St. of the West Link. They are having an open day today and tomorrow were you can see machines working etc. They only Have the Ts4010 tablesaw working and none of the smaller stuff. They seem to cater more for the industrial users with larger machines. I was in last week an noticed they are now doing the festool range of powertools which may be worth a look. I have found in the past that the are more expensive than most others over here but the are the only Scheppach dealer in the North as far as I am aware.

Philip

Much as I thought, captive market ref Scheppach. Imagine much the same for Festool too.

Cheers

Noel

Back