Tablesaws....SIP 01574 Vs Charnwood W650 Vs Axmi AW10BSB2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatcho

Established Member
Reaction score
After what feels like an absolute age in choosing my first tablesaw I'm pretty sure (he says hopefully) that I'm down to the final two choices.

1. SIP 01574 (not 01332)
This appeals to me as it's quite a bit lighter than the 01332 and has the sliding table AND mitre slots. If the sliding table isn't great I assume that I can always make a crosscut sled for mitres and oversize pices of sheet material. I think I can add a spiffy incra mitre gauge as well (if needed) assuming that the slots are a standard size (can anyone confirm?).

2. Charnwood W650
I've read all of the good reviews on this saw and am tempted. The only thing really putting me off is it's lack of slots on the CI top. If the mitre gauge on the sliding table is crappy I'd want the option to be able to replace with the aforementioned spiffy incra gauge. I'm also quite keen on making a finger joint jig for my saw so again, lack of slots would put the kibosh on that.

3. Axminster AW10BSB2
Again, seems to have good reviews, doesn't come with extensions or sliding carriage (like the SIP and Charnwood do), but does have slots (again, I'm unsure of the size of these).

Does anyone on this site actually own the SIP 01574? I'd love an honest assesment of it.

Also, I haven't found anywhere near to London that actually stock the SIP so viewing it is proving to be an issue. Any ideas? Northampton Woodworking Centre don't have it :-( I'm prepared for a bit of a drive

Woodbloke has the Charnwood machine and he really likes it. I think the SIP is a near identical machine.

I have the SIP version of the Axminster AW10BSB2 and its an excellent machine but I wouldn't have it without the table extensions and sliding table. But that machine is a little bit more like the big brother of the other two, its just a similar price because its not the full package.

I wouldn't worry about the mitre slots with the charnwood, with the sliding table on my saw I've only ever used the slots twice for some mitre work. You can always make jigs that ride against/on the fence instead.

There's a full review of the Charwood W650 in this months F&C. It's a great machine but with some infuriating, though minor in-built gremlins that are very easily sorted out. When I had a K419 I never used the slots so the lack of them in this machine isn't really a concern. The good thing about it for a home user is that it's got adequate capacities (250mm blade and a 2hp motor) and a slider but at the same time it takes up quite a small footprint.

W650andRouterTableSMALL.jpg

One of the things that's essential IMO is to make a ZTI plate (fitted as you can see) and on my one I've also done away with the RHS table and fitted a router table instead ...I've also fitted a much better Suva style guard rather than the pretty rubbishy offering provided by Charnwood - Rob

I have the axi one and you can get sliding tables and extension tables for it and I can say its a brilliant piece of kit. I have the sliding table which once set up is great and cast iron!!

The fence is the best stock fence I have ever used.

When I brought mine it was a package and came in cheaper than the identical sip which was the only factor for me choosing it. Although no longer available as a package you can get the sliding table and tables separately from axi. The sliding table is stronger than the other offerings and travels further so you can get more material in front of the blade with it when doing larger panels or angle cuts.

I've also got the axminster model. Its not perfect, the table has a couple of high points that I need to sort out when I've time (doesn't affect its operation), the blade that's supplied with it is useless (budget for a replacement blade), and I've lost count of the times I've walked into the sliding table support - but I wouldn't be without it. Its a very substantial piece of kit once all the extras are bolted on.

Hi all.

I'm in the market for a saw and have whittled my choices down to the three mentioned in the original post above, namely the SIP 01574, Charnwood W650 and Axminster AW10BSB2.

A year further down the line, does anyone have anything to add regards the choice between these 3 machines?
I'm erring towards the Axminster at the moment, simply because its the only one I've been able to get a look at in the flesh so to speak. It also now has mitre gauge slots both sides of the blade as standard.

Any comments both good and bad gratefully received.
Cheers,
Jim

congo181":36xolbor said:
A year further down the line, does anyone have anything to add regards the choice between these 3 machines?

Hello Jim...I'm waiting for the new range of Xcalibur table saws to arrive at Woodford Machinery in Stockport. Hopefully the stock will arrive mid to late August...I believe the web site will be updated in the next couple of weeks with images of the new range. Here's a link to the one I wanted, before finding out the above! http://woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/info_173.html

Back