Tablesaw and Dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I finally plugged my table saw in and turned it on. Poor machine must have been sitting there for more than 5-6 months. It was smooth and much quieter than I expected. I rip cut five 20” pieces to make some small boxes.
Outcome was good and it only took me about five minutes. I had already flatten one face and one edge to have a reference faces.

The only part I did not like was the ton of dust blown out of machine. I shall never plug it in without a proper dust collection system installed.

As I mentioned in previous posts I have an urge to buy a band saw and a planer/thicknesser.
What size dust collector do I need for a single machine at a time use?

I would be grateful for your opinions. I have already seen the posts about HPLV and LPHV systems.

Regards

I'm just a beginner, so not advice per se. However, I started with a 1HP axminster with 100mm connection. Problems with this were:
1. The bag filled fast and was annoying to empty
2. The bag lets through very fine dust (you can see in sunlight/following day on surfaces)

So I built a cyclone to go upstream. That works well but revealed two new problems:
3. The route from the blade to the outlet inside the saw cabinet is really poor, so lots of coarse sawdust ends up on the floor insdie the saw
4. The over-blade extraction doesn't capture all the above table coarser dust, especially using a zero-clearance insert.

Overall I'd say the 1HP was enough air movement but there are challenges in routing it efficiently from the saw that aren't helped by the design of the saw.

For over 3 years I had one of these
https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html
It was absolutely brilliant at picking up everything, Even a wallpaper scraper! :shock:

Bandsaw, router table, chop saw, lunchbox thicknesser, vacuum the floor for 15 metres in all directions, perfect.
Then the motor died (50 quid plus postage to replace). I decided to "upgrade" to one of these
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105111

Oh boy, what a mistak-a to mak-a.
On my new table saw I might as well not bother to turn it on.
It does almost nothing compared to the old one. as soon as funds allow I shall revert to the large cylinder machine.

Its one down side is its a screamer! Really loud. I had to make a noise suppression box for it, but well worth any effort.

sunnybob":pb6lk5cy said:
For over 3 years I had one of these
https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html
It was absolutely brilliant at picking up everything, Even a wallpaper scraper! :shock:

Bandsaw, router table, chop saw, lunchbox thicknesser, vacuum the floor for 15 metres in all directions, perfect.

+1 for one of these - I bought one earlier in the year and it's been great so far, much better than relying on my Lidl shop vac (which is still good - but can't cope with my planer / thicknesser at all).

My dad uses one similar to the first one Bob listed, just a different manufacturer. I think they are pretty similar, Record Power DX1000, etc. Easily copes with Chop saw, table saw and lunch box thicknesser.

Like rafezetter, I've used my shop vac (screwfix titan) with the table saw and chop saw without issue but you really need a larger hose with a planer/thicknesser. The vac is the only dust collector I own so I have to let my thicknesser just chuck out all the chippings on the floor, whilst wearing a mask as it puts out a fair amount of dust too.

i had that canister connected to a 62 mm piped system I have a 62 mm x 3 metre hose which I use to clean the floor and bench with, I just put that hose into the dust port of the thicknesser (after i had enlarged the stupid 50 mm hole to 62 mm) and it removed all the waste easily.
The first time I used the thicknesser I was not aware of the volume of waste, and before I finished I realised that I had lost the suction. When I checked, the entire system had become jam packed with chips. That was the 50 litre canister, the 3/4 sized traffic cone cyclone, the 25 litre box under the cyclone, and over 5 metres of piping!

I'm going to buy another one very soon, I made a big mistake trying to "upgrade"

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
Has anybody seen or used these ones? I have seen a single bag one on internet for sale. Has filter and separate bag.

Ta

Attachments

• 46924E34-9FDD-4D9A-9BA4-0DDF4176B927.jpeg
    46924E34-9FDD-4D9A-9BA4-0DDF4176B927.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 143
  • AFC3BFEB-4F7E-45E8-96E9-4E6818BDB829.jpeg
    AFC3BFEB-4F7E-45E8-96E9-4E6818BDB829.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 143
SMALMALEKI":210vb7l2 said:
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
Has anybody seen or used these ones? I have seen a single bag one on internet for sale. Has filter and separate bag.

Ta

I bought a Bernardo DC 350 CF dust collector when I was planning my garage shop. I assume Bernardo, iTech, and others, buy their equipment from the same overseas manufacturer, since they appear to be of a similar design.

When my plans changed from a garage shop to a basement shop, I traded the unused 2HP DC 350 CF system for just the 3HP blower assembly from a DC 550 CF system. I found a Bernardo distributor who was willing to make the trade for the RV 350 blower assembly that was part of the DC 550 CF system. He bought the DC 350 CF from me at the price he would have paid and sold me the RV 350 at his invoice cost, but I broke even on the deal because he included some salvaged items from a local shop that closed and he had not had the time to add them to his inventory.

I couldn't find any information on the canister filter and didn't want to take any chances of creating a dusty environment in my basement. Given the price point of these systems, it is safe to assume the filters are not rated at MERV 15 or better, since a MERV 15 filter for this system would cost about the same as the stock system. The Bernardo sales reps couldn't find any information on the filter either, so I assumed it was only marginally better than the bag filters and designed my own system based around the RV 350 blower assembly.

If I stayed with my garage design, I would have likely kept the canister filter and relied on the excellent airflow through my garage to take care of any fine dust. However, I would have also used a good 3M mask just to make sure. As you have noticed while ripping, I am not as concerned about the residue accumulating on the floor. I am very concerned about the airborne particles that I can't see that are generated by the saw and also passing through the canister filter. My basement system has a pair of Wynn 35B222NANO canister filters. They are pricey, but I only have one set of lungs and want to take care of them.

If you're planning on adding to your machine collection with Planer thicknesser and bandsaw i think you will regret buying a single use machine.

It may sound easy enough just to swop over but after a while it becomes a real pain.

What's your budget ?

Try and get a hvlp system... i have a SIP 01954..it's a great extractor with excellent m3/hr flow rate ....and at around £350.00 it's a good price.

Mine is ducted to 4 machines with 7m being the longest run. As long as you put blast gates on them the suction is good even to the furthest machine.

I have made some simple inexpensive mods to mine that increase the flow rate by 30%.

Hope this helps.

ScouseKev":3uv9d1bw said:
I have made some simple inexpensive mods to mine that increase the flow rate by 30%.

What were they? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back