tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A request from SWMBO. “Could you make something that I could give for a raffle prize at the Christmas fair.”
“ Anything will do, maybe another little table like before”
“There’s also another two raffles coming up at the golf club for the Christmas competitions, do you have enough wood to make two for those?”

That was it then, so off I go to see what is available.

I found a couple of lengths of 3x3 that was left over from a job I did for my daughter.

These were cut into lengths of 16 inches and then cut into four on my new SIP bandsaw (gloat)

Tables001.jpg

They were then surfaced planed to give me a square face side and face edge.

Tables002.jpg

Then through the thicknesser to give me a 1 ¼ inch square leg.
Tables003.jpg

Next the ends were squared off and the legs cut to their finished length

Tables004.jpg

The mortice was then marked out on one of the legs,(the others all marked with a centre line) and
using my home made morticeing jig and router all of the mortices were cut with a 9mil straight cutter
Tables005.jpg

The next job was to taper the inside faces of the legs, and this was done on the table saw with a tapering jig. Each leg was then passed over the surface planer to remove the saw marks and sanded on the bench sander.

Tables006.jpg

The outside edge was then rounded over on the router table using a ½ inch ovolo cutter

Making the top was the next job as each one was to be fitted with a 13 inch square floor tile.

Tables007.jpg

The sides were made from 6x1 cut into equal widths and planed up to give a finished size of 1 ¼ x 7/8 and about 17 inches long.
These were then taken to the table saw and passed over the saw blade to give a groove into which to fit the 6mil plywood.

WoodworkingProjects027.jpg

WoodworkingProjects029.jpg

They were then cut to the correct length on the mitre saw, and glued around a piece of plywood, clamped and set aside.

Now that I knew the exact size of the tops I could now cut the rails as I wanted the legs to be a snug fit under the tops.
They were cut from 6x1 giving a finished size of 2 ¾ x ¾ .

WoodworkingProjects030.jpg

After cutting to the correct length the tennons were cut on the table saw.

WoodworkingProjects031.jpg

The lower edge of each piece was then rounded over on the router table and the end of the tennons cut at 45 degrees as the tennons met one another in the mortices of the legs.

WoodworkingProjects033.jpg

Before gluing up a dry fit was done and then each piece given a coat of dark oak stain. I find it better to stain before glueing.

WoodworkingProjects034.jpg

When the stain had dried the legs and rails were glued and clamped.

WoodworkingProjects038.jpg

When the tops were dry, they were taken out of the clamps and sanded with a random orbital sander. They were then taken to the router table to have the edges rounded off with a ½ ovolo bit and given a coat of stain.

WoodworkingProjects035.jpg

The tops were then fixed to the rails with screws, ready to be given two coats of satin varnish.

WoodworkingProjects036.jpg

They were left then for about three days before the tiles were fitted in place. This was done using a bed of tile adhesive and the tile pressed firmly down until the top was level with the sides.

WoodworkingProjects037.jpg

After 24 hours the gap around the tile was filled with grout

WoodworkingProjects039.jpg

And here are the finished tables

Christmas morning will tell me how many brownie points I scored with this project.

Thanks for looking Alan.

hmm seen that sheppach p/t somewhere else today... :-k :wink:

They look fantastic, did you start and finish all of them in one day? Please don't say yes! :oops:

Very nice,and lots of photos - thanks! (The photo's must have taken about as long as the tables,didn't they :wink: )

Andrew

Nice one Alan, i am sure that Mrs Alan and the prize winners will be over the moon with prizes.

Regards

Woody

Alan,

Nice tables, I hope the brownie points are received, I'd like two strips of tickets please. :roll:

On the tool front, where did you get those blue clamps? I have some of the red style but blue one look as if they have deeper jaws. 8)

wiZer wrote

did you start and finish all of them in one day? Please don't say yes!
Hi wiZer, would have done but couldn't find the quick drying glue :whistle: :whistle: :^o :^o :^o

To DaveL, The clamps were bought some years ago when the woodworking shows were at the N.E.C. Can't recall seeing them anywhere else

and to Power Tool, I must admit the photo's did take a while,not my best subject, kept going to the preview button to make sure I was still on track.

Alan.

Very good - and a great photo-story too!

Adam

Top work , did you get confused with so many parts ? I go half mad when doing production work :lol:

Back