table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
l am making a farm dining table and was wondering what height should l make it? it is going to be about 6` long, also making 2 benches to sit on.

Many thanks

My method is to search furniture websites and antique dealer websites, from the information there the best dimensions can be gleaned.

Just finished making one myself,height from floor to table top is 30".I have made a few dining tables an I made them all the same height,seems very comfortable to me.Be careful that the skirt isn't too low for you intended chairs.

Steve Maskery":11xspo0d said:
Bear in mind that a traditional house doorway is 30" wide. If you make it any higher, life becomes difficult.
DAMHIKT.

It's more complicated than that, Steve. A 30" door will likely have an opening between door stops of around 28-1/2"....and these things are done by the door size rather than the opening size. More modern houses often have 33" doors downstairs (an opening of around 31-1/2"). The moral of this tale is to check first, and to make any stretchers removable or rather high up the legs.

You are absolutely right, Mike. But I was pointing out the importance of checking accessibility.
I used to feel that tables were always too low. After all, they were basically copying Victorian standards, when people were considerably shorter.

But I made my last one 30.5", and I didn't realise the problem until I came to move it from the workshop to the dining room.
Fortunately I could remove the tabletop, remove the door and we just got it in.
These days I am shorter, (a couple of inches shorter than I was then), so I don't think that my next dining table (next project when this %^&* wardrobe is finally over) will be so problematic.

Have you folks that have studied the classic orders stuck with them in today's age?
It seems that the principals of this practice have no reason not to work for modern design, as the classic order seems
like it can be played with.
I used to have an excellent George Walker video on my old laptop titled...
Unlocking the secrets of traditional design, it was a good watch about training the eye.
I'm sure there was many books on the subject on this side of the pond.
Tom

I would say 29" because it's a farm table, it will be more confortable

You also need to be aware of apron depth if you want chairs to slide under table,some people's legs are larger than others but a rule of thumb is approximately 26" from floor to bottom of apron or more.Carvers will not slide under this the arms are about 28" off the floor.Lots to think about.Making a useful table is not as simple as it seems.

Back