Table top stiffners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching a video on YouTube on live edged tables. The maker inset a c channel into the top to keep it flat.

It was from https://conceptthirteen.ca/collections/ ... /c-channel

I can't get hold of these over here so am going to have to adapt. What is the advantage of bending flat bar rather than using an existing steel channel?

Does anybody have the means of bending 1/4" steel bar lengthways?

Mild steel channel in various sizes isn't difficult to get hold of marcros and shouldn't be too onerous to drill oversize fixing holes to allow for expansion.

Not sure I can see any benefit at all to using formed over normal channel. With normal channel you have square corners as well, so you could let it into the underside and still have a nice flat surface.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Must be just their manufacturing method then. My usual metal place doesn't list 50x25 channel but it seems to be fairly readily available elsewhere.

Personally I believe a length of right angle steel would have the same effect, and be easier to fit as you only need one groove in the wood. Just make sure it's a good thickness or it might not add any strength.

I have a massive (approx. 2.4x1.2m) slab of 3" thick Olive Ash drying out which i'd love to make into a dining table, so i also wondered about the same thing.

My current plan (once the slab is sufficiently dry) is to get some stainless steel channel section, something like 60x30mm Channel (web thickness 6.0mm / flange thickness 6.0mm). Might sound over the top, but stainless would ensure longevity and is also stronger than mild steel, would also prevent any corrosion or staining due to the tannins in the wood. Various online retailers seem to stock the stuff, but not inquired locally yet. I personally wouldn't go for anything with a flange thickness less than 4 or 5mm thick... but as people already think, us structural engineers always go over the top :D

Sawdust=manglitter":363dvhld said:
I have a massive (approx. 2.4x1.2m) slab of 3" thick Olive Ash drying out which i'd love to make into a dining table, so i also wondered about the same thing.

My current plan (once the slab is sufficiently dry) is to get some stainless steel channel section, something like 60x30mm Channel (web thickness 6.0mm / flange thickness 6.0mm). Might sound over the top, but stainless would ensure longevity and is also stronger than mild steel, would also prevent any corrosion or staining due to the tannins in the wood. Various online retailers seem to stock the stuff, but not inquired locally yet. I personally wouldn't go for anything with a flange thickness less than 4 or 5mm thick... but as people already think, us structural engineers always go over the top :D
I think the ash would win easily! I cannot imagine that section holding 3" ash. I would let it sit in its final environment as long as possible then carry on making and see what happens... if it's for you then less of a problem as you could rework it in the future.

It was already at around 18% MC when i bought it, and It’s already been drying for a couple of years in the workshop, and i expect it to be another couple of years acclimatising in the house before im comfortable to start working it. And the final slab is more likely to end up being around 2” thick by the time it’s been flattened etc. So i am being overly cautious with it as its a beautiful slab and i dont want to mess it up

what makes the ash, olive? is it fungal infection like brown oak?

I have absolutely no idea what makes it olive ash, but the grain patters is more contrasting than the usual light coloured ash. Obviously this is rough sawn, so the grain isnt as clear as it would be once finished, but you can just about make out some of the curly figure. Also please excuse my blurry niece (for an idea of scale was a tall 5yr old at the time of the photo)...

Attachments

• AF5ED705-A2A5-485A-A134-401E8BE686BC.jpeg
    AF5ED705-A2A5-485A-A134-401E8BE686BC.jpeg
    788.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 04BC0656-76ED-4FAC-B859-5498C9F2B246.jpeg
    04BC0656-76ED-4FAC-B859-5498C9F2B246.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
Back