Table top cupping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
I am going to make a coffee table using the Walnut boards in the picture which I was given. These two are the flattest and aren't too bad but the others are badly cupped, twisted and split. Once milled, how likely are they to cup again and will buttons be sufficient to keep the top flat on the finished table?

Walnut Board 1.jpg

Walnut Board 2.jpg

Attachments

• Walnut Board 1.jpg
    Walnut Board 1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 653
  • Walnut Board 2.jpg
    Walnut Board 2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 172
I'd guess they'll move again. An end grain shot would help to predict how. Humidity changes do this.

I work with wood not much more than 1/16 inch thick, which moves enough to split itself if held rigid. I'd be surprised if your much thicker planks could be held flat.

There might be techniques to cope with the movement which others can supply, but they will surely depend on how unstable your planks are.

If they have cupped, twisted and split they may already have dried out and stopped moving. Dead flat freshly sawn are the worst.
If you make the table top fairly thin, say 5 to7/8" and fit it with properly designed buttons allowing movement, it will probably be OK.
PS cut all your boards close to cutting list finished sizes BEFORE attempting to plane.

I should have said that they have been air dried in a barn for 5 years and have been stored in my warmish workshop for 6 months.

Steliz":ubr966dq said:
I should have said that they have been air dried in a barn for 5 years and have been stored in my warmish workshop for 6 months.
Should be dry as a bone then. No problem.

Cut them to length, very roughly flatten them, and take them inside your house for 3 or 4 weeks. Stack them such that air can circulate all round (ie on sticks, and not against a wall). Re-assess then.

Latest posts

Back