table saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Don't know if you folks can get them over there, but my purchase of a table saw is going to the the new Ridgid 3612.....like I said, don't know if they are available outside the U.S.. :?:

There was a good mag out D.I.Y power (I think :? ) that did lots of tests on budget tools but can`t find it any more :( .
if anyone finds it tel us please
Mick

Some good points made by all. At the end of the day, if a tool you have bought does the job that you want, as good as you want, then it can't be bad. Fair points made that if we all bought top of the range in everything we would all end up bankrupt. Most people find that they can do with bargain tools that don't get used too often, then spend a bit more on the more regularly used stuff. I use my table saw and planer thicknesser well, but I also have a random orbital sander that only cost £25, a ferm palm sander £12, and they are exceptionally good value. If they last a year each they will have been worth it.
The main point to be made is that as long as the individual enjoys their woodwork, at whatever level, then who can say they are right or wrong with their choices.

Thanks sawdust but I did view the review on the Ferm saw on this site by James, but as I said only time will tell for me how good the saw is. I have since cut some pieces and it performs well although I do have one complaint in that the dust collection is not that good as most of the dust falls from the bottom, :( this may be true of most saws I'am not sure but I might be able to rig something up to save time in clearing up afterwards.
One thing I was surprised at is that the saw has a 3 YEAR warantee. :eek:
Now thats not bad.

Thanks steved :D

Hi Steved,

I have bought the B&Q saw table, it looks almost the same as the Ferm one that James reviewed and the dust falling out on the bottom is a bit of a problem. :(
But I had down loaded a plan from here:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/featu ... sp?id=1053
which should solve that problem :D once I have had time to build it :!:

I am currently building a cyclone dust collector using plans I bought from Wood Plans online. I am about half done, the bright yellow monster is taking shape and hopefully well help to keep the dust under control :!:

Dave

Thanks davel had a look at the plans looks like that could be the answer :wink:
maybe that could be my next project.
Let me know if you build yours how it works out :? If I build mine I will also let you know :)

I know everyone seems to be leaning away from the table and towards the band, but I'd advise anyone to get a tablesaw first. They are really productive and versatile machines. Safety is of course all important, but I don't see that a bandsaw is any safer than a tablesaw. Anything is dangerous if you don't approach it properly, and I think that the tablesaw actually demands respect (mine's a noisy pipper), whereas I find myself getting complacent with my bandsaw. I've seen some solid-looking machines in my local B&Q recently that would fit inside your budget.

I have just taken delivery of the Ferm 250N and have a few questions.
Firstly, I am somewhat dissappointed to find that the blade does not sit parallel with the flutes in the table top making it difficult to line up the rip fence squarely to the blade. It is possible to easily locate the rip fence off square, I kind of hoped that the clamping mechanism would hold it true. Am I asking too much of a £160 saw.
Secondly, most of the posts I have read about budget table saws indicate that a new blade would be a good purchase as the supplied ones are of low quality. Does this explain why my saw is tearing the end of a cut as opposed to cutting it cleanly.Could somebody recommend a blade for me as I don't know where to start.
Finally, coming back to my off square blade, this is also presenting me with a problem when using the mitre guide as the guide channel is also not square to the blade.
Any thoughts and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris
I'm not familiar with this particular sawtable, but you should be able to adjust the line of the sawblade with a couple of screws located under the table. I think it moves the entire motor assembly a few degrees either way. I'm sure someone on the forum will know.
Take a look in the book of destructions - it'll be there somewhere.
As for blades - you can't go wrong with Trend's Craft range, they're excellent and not too pricey - from about £12 to £35. The range even includes a nailcutting blade if you're into reclaimed timber. They do some heavy-duty blades as well, but some of them will cost as much as the table!
Check them out at http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/csb/

Hope that helps,

Steve (No - I don't work for Trend!)

Back