Table saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin.O

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me about the best table saw to buy.. I need to be able to cut veneer down to 1 sixteenth and 1 thirty-second from stock. I have a max budget of 900 pounds (uk). I don't mind used. But I am lost in the maze of advertising.

what exactly are you trying to cut? sheets of veneers from a board? if so, a bandsaw would be the more suitable tool.

I cut inlay, both long grain and cross grain, into 1mm wide strips from 2mm thick sheets. It's tricky but not impossible.

The big problem is that, once you get down to dimensions like these, there's actually no such thing as a zero clearance saw plate with normal saw blades, because the teeth are wider than the saw plate. Consequently the air turbulence around the blade is enough to lift and shatter the workpiece. I get around this by using special blades where the teeth and the plate are the same width (but that gives you problems with the riving knife) or I go to extraordinary lengths to support the workpiece through the cut.

If you're cutting to these dimensions from commercial veneer, which is usually 0.5-0.6mm thick, then you're far better using a knife or a traditional hand held veneer saw.

Thanks to both for your reply. ..I am cutting holly. Walnut. Box. Yew...all from stock that I have bought. I am trying to keep away from commercial veneer...I thought I may end up with a hand saw....your comments have cemented my belief about table saws...many thanks for taking the time to respond..kevin

Back