Table saws for small home workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":2ub2hubf said:
A table saw is easier and better at ripping down boards, I just don't know how you can argue that point, it's a nonsense.

Your myopic statement appears to be a one-size-fits-all approach that doesn't consider space limitations that others might have to work with. I would love to be able to rip full sheets of 2500x1250 plywood on my table saw as my Minimax SC2 Classic can certainly handle the task. Unfortunately, my shop is only 5 meters wide and it's not possible to rip a 2500mm sheet of 19mm plywood down the long side. I can crosscut full sheets all day long, but not rip them.

The arbor of my table saw is 2460mm from the wall on the infeed side and 2540mm from the wall on the outfeed side. It is simply not possible to pass a full sheet down the table to rip it lengthwise. I wanted to have the arbor centered in the room, but I needed the extra space on the outfeed side to prevent the slider from hitting my workbench. I realized this limitation when I designed my shop and selected my equipment. I also had a plan for ripping full sheets as needed and it has worked well.

When I rip full sheets, I use my circular saw with tracks clamped to the board and either rip on the back porch when the weather is nice or in the garage when the weather is not nice. I keep the folding stands and two half sheets of OSB in the garage when not being used for ripping. The setup is fast, the tracks are accurate and repeatable, and I have never burned any edges with the saw.

SammyQ":10se3lcw said:
Get your ear defenders on Mike! :D

C27-AA408-6-ED9-4-CD1-8-E8-F-BD5-A26-EE5136.jpg

With the number of sycophantic keyboard warriors on here I need more protection than that. :D

Protection.jpg

Attachments

• Protection.jpg
    Protection.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 313
Back