Table Saws - Best on a budget?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is quite small, as in it's a single garage, and I have around 80% of it available for my workshop stuff. So it's quite limited, and I plan to make stationery tools that are customised to the space - so my long term plan is to have a router table, proper workbench, drill press, belt sander and a table saw, maybe even a panel saw - trouble is, I need tools to be able to make these other tools accurately.

Currently I have a simple workbench and vice, not very big, and I also have a hand me down Black & Decker workmate, which I hate as it's not very user friendly shall we say.

So I'm looking for advice for a reasonably priced table saw, under £150 - that will allow me to make my cuts more accurately. Accuracy being my main issue at the moment, I believe a decent table saw equipped with a decent fence guide will help me massively.

I have a titan one which is as good as anything in that price range. The full width fence slide is useful.

Cuts well but is noisy as they all are at this price.

Cheers James

Bloc75
dont buy new, try and look out for the cheaper end of the better made saw's but USED.....
It may take a few visits to select the right one...don't be in a rush....
quite often people will upgrade to a bigger saw but what they have may just suit ur needs.....
Look at ur local FaceBook, u may have to join, my wife does all that.....
it suprising what will turn up.....
this I bought via facebook....was a bit more money tho...
IMG_0081.jpeg

But to get anything decent second hand you will need to pay at least £300.

DeWalt Makita etc s/h are £300 plus about the same as old cast iron stuff.

Second hand cheap stuff is worse than new imho and often goes for as much as new at the moment !!!

Cheers James

Well I've seen some people create the same effect with an upside down circular saw, which I do like the idea of as you can pretty much tailor the work surface to your own specs. These were my thoughts last night, now i've slept on it and have looked at the Makita ones, I may just hold fire and get a decent one. I pretty much have everything else in Makita.

Bloc75
dont buy new, try and look out for the cheaper end of the better made saw's but USED.....
It may take a few visits to select the right one...don't be in a rush....
quite often people will upgrade to a bigger saw but what they have may just suit ur needs.....
Look at ur local FaceBook, u may have to join, my wife does all that.....
it suprising what will turn up.....
this I bought via facebook....was a bit more money tho...
View attachment 101006

Yeah that's a bit big for my workshop. :)

I would strongly suggest not skimping on such an important and dangerous machine.
A 10" is the minimum size for even the smallest shop. You will also outgrow it very quickly.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/premium-10-bandsaw#.YAIf6Oj7RjE
I'm sure Makita will have a similar model if you want to stay brand loyal.

Around £300 is about the minimum amount you need to spend IMHO.
Buying second hand is also a bad idea unless it's from your uncle.

Well I've seen some people create the same effect with an upside down circular saw, which I do like the idea of as you can pretty much tailor the work surface to your own specs. These were my thoughts last night, now i've slept on it and have looked at the Makita ones, I may just hold fire and get a decent one. I pretty much have everything else in Makita.

I had a large 235mm circular saw hung under a table with a zip tie switch and no guard. I wouldn't recommend it!

The Makita 2712 you refer to us a site saw and not the most accurate so I'm told. I'd get a cast iron one if I were you. Being so essential they don't loose thier value either.

Cheers James

It seems you know your mind on what you want.....

but do you need it?

You’ll find many threads here with this type of discussion and I’m a newbie here and just a hobbyist, however I also have a single garage as the workshop and took the decision i didn’t need a table saw any more and instead I‘ve gone down the route of a track saw.... in my opinion in limited space it will serve me better, you can also make lots of jigs to do things like cross cuts, ripping etc. Might be worth a look?

Have a look on you tube at our own Peter Millard lots of vids...

Just an opinion of course...

Padster

Last edited:
My workshop is quite small, as in it's a single garage, and I have around 80% of it available for my workshop stuff. So it's quite limited, and I plan to make stationery tools that are customised to the space - so my long term plan is to have a router table, proper workbench, drill press, belt sander and a table saw, maybe even a panel saw - trouble is, I need tools to be able to make these other tools accurately.

Currently I have a simple workbench and vice, not very big, and I also have a hand me down Black & Decker workmate, which I hate as it's not very user friendly shall we say.

So I'm looking for advice for a reasonably priced table saw, under £150 - that will allow me to make my cuts more accurately. Accuracy being my main issue at the moment, I believe a decent table saw equipped with a decent fence guide will help me massively.
Don't buy a table saw. I have also small space. A track saw will do most of what you need fraction of space,uch better dust collection. Second hand corded ones available now very cheap. Also not as noisy. If you do want a table saw buy one of the old Elu flip over saws good condition. Lovely quiet induction motor, no brushes last forever, get one with legs on it. Doubles as a chop saw, good for space. Big table saws, sliding panels saws etc outdated now for home workshop. Make yourself a festool mft3 top or buy one and a couple of dogs and you will do 99% of what you need.

With a track saw do you really need a large mft to use it???

In a small workshop I cannot but think it would be unwieldy ????

I'd suggest a band saw as a first power saw?

Cheers James

With a track saw do you really need a large mft to use it???

In a small workshop I cannot but think it would be unwieldy ????
You don't 'need' an MFT but it makes life much easier.

I've got a small workshop and got around the space issue by building an MFT that folds up against the wall when not in use - see Finally built a fold-down MFT

I have an old model of the Metabo TKH315 from the days when it was Elektra Beckum. It has been brilliant, I bought it second hand for about £150 five years ago. It gets used daily to it's capacity in my workshop and has never let me down, probably not as accurate as some but I only use it for ripping which it does well. Induction motor so it's nice and quiet. People never seem to suggest these saws, I don't know why as they are great value for money.

Track saw? Is that just using a Circular Saw with a track guide to run against?

I have these tools:

Makita HS7601J 190mm Circular Saw
Makita Guide Rail.

I got the guide rail to work with my jigsaw, but I think is also compatible with the circular saw.

Looks like I may need to get an adapter to make this work, although I have been watching this Japanese kid on YouTube build all kinds of nice stuff using aluminium extrusions to make guide rails.

So I've found this video,

All I'm going to need is the adapter and a couple of them track clamps and I should be good to go right?

I had a £100 Titan but it was poor. Spent £245 on a Scheppach HS150 and it is superb. Unlike the other cheaper saws the fence locks front and back so really secure. Been cutting some hard woods today and it needs a new blade. Like the smell of burning wood??

I had a £100 Titan but it was poor. Spent £245 on a Scheppach HS150 and it is superb. Unlike the other cheaper saws the fence locks front and back so really secure. Been cutting some hard woods today and it needs a new blade. Like the smell of burning wood??

I haven't cut much hardwood on mine.

I did cut some 3" larch and it struggled tbh.

I would go for the metabo or a cast iron jobbie next time.

Cheers James

Back