Table saws .. Again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinthree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm wanting to buy a table saw and would like some advice
My budget - £550
Saw use - mainly ripping , some cross cuts ,(some of the planks I use to rip may be 8ft long and 12" wide so a rear table extension is probably needed)

My choices so far are the charnwood w619 or a second hand record power ts250

I'd like a sliding fence because my needs May chance in the future and want to buy a saw that will be a good all rounder

The only downsides I can see to the charnwood is that they seem to be a nightmare to set up and would hate it not to be cutting true once iv put it together as kit building is not my strong point or something iv a lot of patience for :)

Are there any brands or options I'm missing before I go ahead and buy?

Thanks

Hi Robin3, I had a Charnwood W 619, it was not really that difficult to set up, and once set up it was great, it stayed true. The sliding table is OK but I had to put some shims in to get the height right. I thought it was a good saw. The reason I sold it was because I needed a much bigger, more industrial quality saw.
Hope this helps.

Harry

Second hand? For £500 you might be able to pick up an old startrite. I have a w619. But like scoffy I recently upgraded it. If your doing a lot of deep ripping the motor can big down quite easily., annoying if your on a tight deadline. I had to shim my sliding table too, took a bit of patience to get it right. Good bit of kit, but nothing compared to and older machine.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1692299456

That's great, thanks for the warnings on the motor and fence.
I'd love a 3phase machine but only have 240v supply
Does anyone here use a converter? If so what would I need power and price wise ? Converters iv seen can cost anything from £100- £1000 + and I'm guessing if it's a 2hp machine I'd need a 2hp converter..or bigger? This then leads me to think it's out of my budget (£500 for a machine then a further £300 for a converter)

You cannot rely on ANY TS to be set up right from the factory. They've been shipped halfway round the world. Setting one up is part of the buying process.
Sliding tables are great, but they take up a lot of room. If you do the job only occasionally you may find that a good crosscut sled is quite enough.

Setting up a TS is straightforward, you just have to do the right things in the right order, but none of it is actually difficult, just a couple of hours work.
S

Robinthree":2umrwl4y said:
Hi all

I'm wanting to buy a table saw and would like some advice
My budget - £550
Saw use - mainly ripping , some cross cuts ,(some of the planks I use to rip may be 8ft long and 12" wide so a rear table extension is probably needed)

My choices so far are the charnwood w619 or a second hand record power ts250

I'd like a sliding fence because my needs May chance in the future and want to buy a saw that will be a good all rounder

The only downsides I can see to the charnwood is that they seem to be a nightmare to set up and would hate it not to be cutting true once iv put it together as kit building is not my strong point or something iv a lot of patience for :)

Are there any brands or options I'm missing before I go ahead and buy?

Thanks

Don't forget the W619 is basically the same as the Axy TS200 with a nice stand and comes with the sliding mitre table.

You might want to try the new Axy TS250 II. It's 10" rather than 8, more powerful, and it looks to have a better fence, which is the main problem on a cheaper saw.

Back