Table Saws -again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deems

Reaction score
As per previous posts, I m looking to buy my first table saw. I have limited space in my workshop but want to buy something that be reliable and will give me a good start for at least a couple of years if I then decide to trade up and/or seek a larger workspace.

I’ve been researching the Axminster AC216TS and looking at posts on this website. This may potentially meet my needs, but as possible alternatives, what has happened to the Axminster AC254TS (as distinct from the AT254)? And does anyone have experience of the Record250C-PK/A 10” saw? Generally, I like Record machinery and already have a bandsaw and planer/thicknesser, but a possible reservation about the 250C-PK/A is that there is no mitre slot next to the blade on the RHS, which suggest it would be difficult to make a safe cross cut sled. Or am I simply showing my lack of knowledge here? I’d be really grateful for advice on any of the above, with apologies for the long post.

On seeing your post referencing the AC254TS I wasnt actually able to find this at all or see any information other than the user manual as it doesnt seem to be for sale on the Axi website and nothing else online about it. It is very different (in price) from the AT254TS.

Sam

Interesting that he thinks a sliding table is a disadvantage, perhaps if he used one he would change his mind?

I have the Record TS250-RS, which I think is the same saw unit but with a longer travel sliding table. Have a look for my review of the saw if you want more details. The T slot in the sliding table is handy for securing jigs etc which you can then use the sliding table to push past the blade. I don't see why you would want a cross cut sled for this saw, the sliding table renders one unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

rixarena":2p0upqs9 said:
On seeing your post referencing the AC254TS I wasnt actually able to find this at all or see any information other than the user manual as it doesnt seem to be for sale on the Axi website and nothing else online about it. It is very different (in price) from the AT254TS.

Sam
Ditto. I’ve only seen reference to the AC254TS in the user manual online. Maybe they pulled it? A pity as for me, it might potentially be a better option than the AC216TS. The AT254TS is not an option for me as It is a 16amp model: I rent my workspace and the rental management company would not be able to upgrade just for me. Besides, the AT254TS is very heavy and I’d struggle to instal it.

To Siggy -7:where is your post about the Record please? I can’t easily locate anything on this site, but that’s probably me!

Hi,
I have some good news from a call with Axminster today, they are releasing the AC254TS and will be in the new catalogue in September but didnt know on pricing or details, looks promising though.

Thanks Sam

I personally think that, from an engineering point of view, using two mitre slots for locating a sled is bad practice. If the two slots are not perfectly parallel, and we know that perfection is not attainable, then the two slots 'fight' and you don't know which one of them is defining the line of action. It is better practice to use not only just one slot, but one side of one slot (kinematic design). That side is the one you concentrate on to be straight, the other side is simply used to push the mitre slide against the defining slide. I use the slide guides with softer adjustable buttons to ensure a good fit on one defining edge.

I have slots both sides of the blade on my Wadkin. My preference and layout is to put the fence on the right hand side of the blade. I've never used the slot on that side.

I have never used the mitre slots in my table saw, the sliding table is more accurate and easier to use if set up properly.

MusicMan":3fuy5wbi said:
I personally think that, from an engineering point of view, using two mitre slots for locating a sled is bad practice.

I don't think the slots would be your main issue, it's the material used for the runners. Most people use a hardwood which is bound to change unequally along it's length unless you have very straight grain.

Having said that, if you do use two runners, and there is no noticable play along the entire stroke, then its good enough for wood working.

One runner is easier to make though and is great for quick jigs.

I use one of the 300mm ones from ebay with the adjustable guides.

Or cut your own from an Ikea plastic chopping board, they are supper slick and stable.

MikeJhn":2v7koebx said:
Or cut your own from an Ikea plastic chopping board, they are supper slick and stable.

There is that option too. But at £10, I think they're well worth it. Just noticed they also do a 450mm one for £13.

Back