Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
The wife has said she will buy me my first ever table saw for christmas.
I,ve always got by some how with just my mitre saw, hand saw or jig saw!
Problem is our finances are a bit limited and £150 is her max!
I've seen this at Screwfix
Titan TTB674TAS At £99.99 (sorry can't copy the link)

I know it's not exactly the Rolls Royce of table saws but what do you think, will it do the job?
It seems to have good reviews,
I don't make anything intricate but things like garden furniture, rabbit hutches for grandkids etc,

I have a titan chainsaw and it is better than the makita it replaced.

It is a great price for a table saw. The rip fence looks like it might flex a bit, but you could clamp a board against the back of it for critical cuts.

If you could build it into a timber bench so it has a rear extension table, it could become an accurate saw.

I guess the motor might be noisy

Hopefully somebody on here has one and will come along soon!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb674t ... 240v/9486j

It isnt going to be the best of saws, but as long as you understand its limitations and work with them, it will probably do what you need of it. It will be noisy, but by the sound of it, you are using it from time to time, so can put up with that.

A few questions:
what are the items made from (mainly)- solid timber or sheet material?
Does the mitre saw do all of the cross cutting that you need it to?

If you look at other saws in a similar budget, look mainly at the fence system. you want something that clamps on one end only, (clamping both ends is a faff and there is a danger of it not being perfectly parallel), something with a fence that stops at the middle of the blade (for safety) and something that the fence is nice and rigid (both the fence itself and its clamping system). The one that you have mentioned satisfies the first 2 of these. On the third, you cant tell from a picture, but the reviews seem positive, even when you discard some of them that they bought to rip up firewood.

The mitre gauge sounds pretty poor, but the mitre saw will probably do these cuts. you could always make a sled if not, which would be more accurate anyway.

I actually own that same Titan Tablesaw. I've had it about 5 months now. I use it a fair bit. I'd recommend it to anyone for the price of it, especially compared to the alternative models that are far more. I got a new saw rather than a used one because I dislike owning used tools and not knowing the history.
Few negatives though
-The fence, mitre guage and push stick are rubbish. Make a crosscut sled and a mitre sled. Use a proper pushstick.
-The Legs are rickety and frankly dangerous. I'm going to build a table for the saw to sit into.
-The blade is multipurpose but not very good quality, the tungsten tips have chipped off. Invest in a new saw blade next time you see one at Screwfix.

To be honest though, you're better off getting a bandsaw if you want a good all rounder for your workshop. I find myself wanting one instead of my tablesaw.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Well after lots of looking at different table saws I got myself confused and in the end I decided on something a little different and more expensive, but the wife has said I can have it!
ARecord BS250 bandsaw!!!
Ordered last night but I don't think it will be here in time for it to be under the Christmas tree On Christmas day :(

I think you've made a good choice there! Enjoy the babdsaw, it is the same model I was hoping of investing in soon too!

Hi all just registered and so sorry to but in on the conversation. I have the opportunity to purchase a TITAN TTB674TAS for a very good price. I have circular saws, jigsaws a very good Evolution Mitre saw but what I need is a good saw for cutting large 8x4 sheets of chip, MDF, OSB and plywood. Can anyone tell me if the TITAN TTB674TAS can accommodate these boards or what they would recommend that is not going to break my already bust bank?

If you can't afford anything better, consider a track saw instead, I think the Triton would be pushed over when trying to push an 8x4 sheet of anything over it, for a decent table saw you really need to spend somewhere in the region of at least £500.00++

A track saw is not something I would normally recommend, but when the devil drives and all that.

Wow two answers whilst I was typing all say the same though.

Mike

I tried two of the Titan table saws, both went back. Construction is rigid enough and the motor is powerful, at least for the price. The big issue with them is accuracy, the tables aren't at all flat. I'd only recommend it for very rough cuts.

I'd agree with all the others, a track saw used on the floor with some foam under the plywood sheet is definitely the way to go.
Once you have the track saw you can then setup an MFT type work station. Pick up an MFT replacement top from ebay (£50) and some parf dogs, mount it to some legs and you have an awesome little cutting station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8j-eCz5Og

Why not go second hand?

£200 will get you a secondhand TS200 or Kity 419 (without extras). Solid saws and easy to find accessories for.

LancsRick":mc0ypw6n said:
Why not go second hand?

£200 will get you a secondhand TS200 or Kity 419 (without extras). Solid saws and easy to find accessories for.

Because you can't take it back if it breaks down within a week.

Mike

I've got a large table saw with sliding table and still use my tracksaw for breaking down sheets - 8 x 4 are pretty heavy and annoyingly large things. Its one tool I really wouldn't want to do without.

I cant imagine trying to cut an 8 x 4 on a "normal" tablesaw
you would need a large infeed table and similar outfeed
16 odd feet of space and about 7 foot wide so you can get to other end of cut

+1 track saw or circular saw

Steve

Hi.

I have the Triton table saw and want to make a sled, can anyone tell me which t track widths available will fit?

I am inclined to agree with placing the unit in its own sturdy structure. :D

Holy necrobump.

Your best bet is always to measure the slots you have. Almost guaranteed they won't be the standard that the proper saws use.

Back