table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn2

Established Member
Reaction score
:?: i am due to receive a XCALIBUR 10" Contractor Table Saw next week and wondered if anyone has some experience with them and has made any outfeed tables

Hi Martyn
Welcome to the forum!
As you know, I have the 806, but there are a few members here with the contractors saw. Maybe try the search facility?
Cheers
Philly :D

So when are Woodford going to open their Poole branch then...? :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Martyn. Try not to spend too much time with Philly; your credit card will thank you. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi,

While you on the subject of woodford and Excalibur, I would just like to put a spanner in the works for all the people thinking of the cabinet saw from Excalibur. I was reading some of my old magazines last night and found a table saw review from the states. The 10 inch single phase cabinet saw with the excalibur logo is available in the states under the name LOBO TS-1010 and was included in the review of ten saws altogether. The saw actually came second to last and some of the comments were, fit and finish was mediocre, thin and flimsy scales, poor fitting mitre gauge and problems recieving spares. I thought the Excalibur looked a good machine. The yanks must have real high stadards!

cheers,
jonny.

I'd be careful there Jonny-there are a LOT of cabinet saws out there, and they all kinda look the same. My Xcaliber has been looked over by a guy who sells Delta Unisaws-he was very impressed with the fit and finish of mine and gave it the thumbs up.
Also, don't mistake the US Excaliber for our Xcaliber.
Only my opinion
Philly :wink:

Hi Martyn

Welcome to the forum.

I'd second Alf's comment about Philly, best to cut up all of your credit cards right now. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

I bought one of these from woodford a couple of months back, all good, easy to put together.

couple points, the guard was useless on mine, I couldnt get it to fit as per the instructions. My old man had a go at it as well and neither of us managed it. Looking for an after market guard and splitter at the moment and havent been cutting anything large because of that...

tables and extensions cleaned down nicely with some grease remover, lovely and flat.

the pulley on the motor was bent, obviously damaged in transit, checked the main trunion from the motor and its 100% spot on, just a dent in the pulley. Woodford are replacing it.

I love it, its my first saw so maybe i would say that..

I think i was promised a Beisemeyer fence by woodford, it wasnt, but its a grand fence all the same, find it very accurate.

Saw takes a nice insert on the underside for extraction..

If you ave any probs setting up, give me a shout, happy to help.

Hi Martyn

I've had an Excalibur contractors saw for some months now, and I have to say not only are they very good to start with, they get better with use! On mine the motor tended to shudder a bit due to variation in the drive belt, and being on a wooden floor didn't help. Now, the floor is the same, but the belt has 'worn in' more and the shudder has mostly gone - I guess I could have bought one of those special after market sectional belts they sell in the US as a fix for this problem and solved it immediately.

I have the black fence on mine, it comes pre-drilled to take a wood face, and is true with the blade. The table top isn't just flat, it's FLAT! - couldn't find any deviation over the whole of the cast iron surface, and the slots are true with the blade and fence. I replaced my mitre gauge with an Incra one, and use a Delta tenoning jig without any problems, - the joy of having 'standard' slots. The works underneath the table are solid lumps of cast iron and steel, making me believe the rock solid accuracy I enjoy now will last a lifetime. Raising, lowering, and tilting the blade is very smooth and can easily be locked from the adjustment wheels. Mine is the 801 so has open sides, but the cabinet is strong and looks good.

If I had to make the choice of which saw to buy again, it would defiantly be an Excalibur from Woodford. Hope these thoughts help.

Dennis

thanks for all the advice and help and help has any of you build any outfeed tables or know of any plans out there and please keep the advice coming :D

Hi Martyn
Welcome to the forum!
This is a seriously dodgy place to be if you come from Dorset, (I'm in Broadmayne, just outside Dorchester), as there are one or two local members who have been known to have a debilitating effect on the wallet - BEWARE!! :) :) :)
Best Regards
Martin

Martin":qmeecb6q said:
as there are one or two local members who have been known to have a debilitating effect on the wallet

I am totally dumbfounded by this remark, the cheek of it :cry: :cry:

By the way Martin do you still want me to oder two LV BU Jacks? :D :D

Martyn2,

Not sure what the contractors saw is like. does it have the "L" shaped piece that the end of the fence runs on? Mine does and I'm thinking of putting some hinges directly onto this so I can attach a folding table that will be used for outfeed.

Back