Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simondo923

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a table saw. 90% will be 45 cuts for boxes and for rebates. I have a router so yes I can do rebates on that and I have a mitre saw but restricted to size box then. Just want something that will be accurate (nothing worse than gaps) with a good fence and something that will not cause a divorce due to the price. I have looked at YouTube so much I have just confused myself. Thanks in advance.

Just want something that will be accurate (nothing worse than gaps) with a good fence and something that will not cause a divorce due to the price.

Good luck with that!
I'll be interested in the answer!

Decent cast iron saws are about £500 sh £750+++ new.

Cheaper 10" and site saws aren't that accurate in told. I don't tend to cross cut with mine.
But I'm sure it's 75% set up and 25% the saw.

Cheers James

I regularly cut segments for wood turning at 15 degree angles on a cheap table saw using a jig. They are very, very accurate.
Mitre slot just needs to be parallel to the blade.

I regularly cut segments for wood turning at 15 degree angles on a cheap table saw using a jig. They are very, very accurate.
Mitre slot just needs to be parallel to the blade.
What make do you have ScaredyCat if you don't mind me asking ?

Good luck with that!
I'll be interested in the answer!

Decent cast iron saws are about £500 sh £750+++ new.

Cheaper 10" and site saws aren't that accurate in told. I don't tend to cross cut with mine.
But I'm sure it's 75% set up and 25% the saw.

Cheers James
I liked the Charnwood W629 but it would cost me more than a bunch of flowers.......

Any recommendations on a table saw. 90% will be 45 cuts for boxes and for rebates. I have a router so yes I can do rebates on that and I have a mitre saw but restricted to size box then. Just want something that will be accurate (nothing worse than gaps) with a good fence and something that will not cause a divorce due to the price. I have looked at YouTube so much I have just confused myself. Thanks in advance.
I upgraded from a £100 Titan this year to a £250 Scheppach HS105 and say I am delighted with it. Unlike most saws of this price the fence lock front and back so very stable. For example I trimmed 5mm, including blade kerf of a 4m length perfectly. If doing a lot of 45s I would buy or make lots on Youtube) a specific fence as the one supplied with the saw is very small. Bought on Amazon, but had to get from Italy as none in UK at the time. £10 cheaper with FREE postage- from Italy!

I would recommend the Laguna fusion 3 personally, its expensive but you can see the quality compared to a charnwood machine. The fast blade tilt is amazing!
IGM tools & machinery are the best price I could find

I'd love a fusion 3 but as I expect with the majority we done have the room for it.

A quality 10" small footprint saw is a good as it gets.

Cheers James

What make do you have ScaredyCat if you don't mind me asking ?

I have a Draper CTS200 with the extension tables (which I use) and sliding table (which I don't use). Not sure they are available new still but it's similar to the Axminster craft one. I got it because it only cost £200 ( See Draper 200mm Cast Iron Table saw £200 ?!?! ) It needed to be portable as I don't have a workshop so it sits on a cart that I put inside the house in the utility space when not in use.

It's not perfect but at that price it's hard to argue against. I sold my Dewalt745 after getting it. It was just too loud. It was however very accurate.

I upgraded from a £100 Titan this year to a £250 Scheppach HS105 and say I am delighted with it. Unlike most saws of this price the fence lock front and back so very stable. For example I trimmed 5mm, including blade kerf of a 4m length perfectly. If doing a lot of 45s I would buy or make lots on Youtube) a specific fence as the one supplied with the saw is very small. Bought on Amazon, but had to get from Italy as none in UK at the time. £10 cheaper with FREE postage- from Italy!
Thank you for your reply

I have a Draper CTS200 with the extension tables (which I use) and sliding table (which I don't use). Not sure they are available new still but it's similar to the Axminster craft one. I got it because it only cost £200 ( See Draper 200mm Cast Iron Table saw £200 ?!?! ) It needed to be portable as I don't have a workshop so it sits on a cart that I put inside the house in the utility space when not in use.

It's not perfect but at that price it's hard to argue against. I sold my Dewalt745 after getting it. It was just too loud. It was however very accurate.
Thank you

I would recommend the Laguna fusion 3 personally, its expensive but you can see the quality compared to a charnwood machine. The fast blade tilt is amazing!
IGM tools & machinery are the best price I could find
Thank you. And the wife said that takes me into the "divorce zone" lol

I have a Charnwood 650. Bought without doing too much research (well any!). It's good but I did have to do a fair bit of fettling on the riving knife. Extractoin through the blade guard is not stellar and the ON/OFF switch position takes a wee bit of getting used to.

Any thoughts on the Evolution Rage. I've been pondering this for a while. Drawbacks seem to be limited blade choice and low motor speed. Positives include portable and very stable when set up, extensions for big boards and fence appears good. Prices around £300 plus.

My impression of them is that they aren't much if an improvement over a cheapy saw.

Still a brush motor, pressed alu / steel top. Sliding mitre might be an improvement.

I'd love to get hold of the draper model if anyone is selling!

Cheers James

Any thoughts on the Evolution Rage. I've been pondering this for a while. Drawbacks seem to be limited blade choice and low motor speed. Positives include portable and very stable when set up, extensions for big boards and fence appears good. Prices around £300 plus.

Casual DIY review after 1 year of use:

I'm in the middle of upgrading from a Scheppach saw to an old Wadkin. The Scheppach has been quite good but the rise & fall mechanism does get blocked up, even with the dust extractor connected and has to be taken apart to be properly cleaned. It's also difficult to set the blade parallel with the fence (it's an allen key adjustment) and there's a tendency for planks to wedge between blade & fence. The fence on mine only locks from one end but it's sturdy enough so that's never been a problem. I'll be advertising it soon. Next upgrades will be from a Scheppach planer/thicknesser, a Scheppach spindle moulder and a Scheppach dust extractor ~ all to something a bit heavier duty.

Recently brought an itech 10". Pretty happy with it all things considered. Runs on a standard 13a socket quite happily. Is pretty accurate. See link below.

Sits in the middle between charmwood and more expensive brands like laguna. Its basically the same saw as the sip.

I was in your bost 3 months ago. On a buget and to many choices. This years on by kind to find saws on the second hand market. Been pretty dead on ebay. Looked at all sorts. I want a cast iron too. So was between ones at Axminster sip and itech.

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-250mm-cast-iron-table-saw-bench

Latest posts

Back