Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi
Has anyone heard of table saw track extension kits in the uk. I have a b&q table saw and would like to extend the fence track. Only place iv'e seen something like this is in the US

Arthur,

Not sure what you mean by "fence track"? If you have in mind something similar to an outfeed table you will just need a couple of slots routed into the outfeed table. MDF, ply, Contiboard etc will do.
Or maybe you mean a table extension to the right of the blade? If so you'll also need fence rail (or similar) extensions. Can you be more specific?

Rgds

Noel

I think he means like a Beismyser aftermarket fence and then track that the fence runs along.

if you only have a B&Q saw, I wouldn't imagine you will want to spend serveral hundred pound on an aftermarket fence system.

Hi Noel

I would like to extend the track to the right of the blade. Maybe I could just use a clamped straight edge guide if this would be sturdy enough

Thanks

Arthur

I had a table saw with a steel top and it was warped.I replaced it with a second hand cast iron top,very flat.The thing about cast iron is it doesn't,to my knowledge, warp so once it is machined it stays stable.I'm not saying it can't be machined wrongly but it is unlikly with modern engineering machines.

Cast iron can warp from residual stresses left from the casting or machining operations. Good quality cast iron is often left to weather for a period after casting and before machining

Cast Iron will distort from residual stresses left over from the casting Process. I believe that most castings are stress relieved prior to machining as nobody wants to wait for them to weather anymore.
Distortion can also occur at machining when the skin of the casting is removed from one side, leaves the machined side stress free and the non machined side in tension.

The key elements are a good stable and braced casting design coupled with good practice and quality machining, the problem is that with some cheap Iron beds that the above 3 elements are not always included.

I am not saying that all cheap Iron Tables are rubbish but buyer beware, and check with a straight edge. Although with a good piece of thick float glass, some engineers blue, a good keen scraper and some time a wonderful flat table can be produced. That is the best part of Iron beds, if they are warped they can be scraped flat again and again.

Bean

Arthur,

Still not with you, I'm afraid. Stick a link or put an image in your next post showing the saw table.
Not meaning to insult your intelligence but maybe best to get the nomenclature right:
Fence: adjustable (left & right) bar that guides stock through the blade when ripping. The fence runs on rail(s) at the front and sometimes uses a rail at the rear of the table.
Mitre Gauge: used for cross cutting and runs in a slot (mitre slot) each side of the blade.
Lesson over......

Rgds

Back