Table saw won’t switch on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTay65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a second hand table saw that was working when I viewed it but once transported home I’m unable to switch the machine on. You can hear the switch click when turned on or off and the fuse is good but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar. I suspect it may be wood dust but tried blowing a foot pump in the motor with no joy?
The machine is an Electra Beckum PK200 in good condition, supposedly 😞

thanks
Dave

Attachments

• FF9CFAE5-7E39-4AA8-9CD2-088EB16D7312.jpeg
    FF9CFAE5-7E39-4AA8-9CD2-088EB16D7312.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 61
Power off and unplugged, can you physically rotate the blade or has something moved and jammed it in transit?

If I remember correctly these have an under voltage protection relay, are you getting the full 230V? If your workshop is a long way from your meter you may not be. If this is a posibility and you don't have the necessary to measure try plugging it in in the kitchen and let your misses know you will only use it there before ten at night...... Caution it may be difficult to get a table saw out

If I remember correctly these have an under voltage protection relay, are you getting the full 230V? If your workshop is a long way from your meter you may not be. If this is a posibility and you don't have the necessary to measure try plugging it in in the kitchen and let your misses know you will only use it there before ten at night...... Caution it may be difficult to get a table saw out
Thanks. Not sure how to check voltage but saw is in garage and socket comes straight from consumer unit so should be sufficient. Never had an issue with any other power tool. Not sure where else I could plug in.

Tried in a number of sockets but no difference. Is there anyway of checking the NVR mag switch? Thanks for suggestions so far.

Wire the motor direct to the cord. Turn off the circuit with the breaker and plug it in. Turn on the breaker and if the motor starts it is the switch. If not it is the motor.

Pete

Wire the motor direct to the cord. Turn off the circuit with the breaker and plug it in. Turn on the breaker and if the motor starts it is the switch. If not it is the motor.

Pete
Thanks Pete, will try your suggestion if no luck with seller 👍
Ozi, wife was relieved it didn’t work in the kitchen sockets either 😂

I have a different model of Electra Beckum and suspected the start capacitor was on it's way out because sometimes when turned on it did not start up and this was usually followed by the 13A fuse blowing, if I already had the blade spinning using a stick when turning on it would carry on as normal. In my case replacing the capacitor sorted out the problem or as Pete says above, bipass the NVR switch to discount that as being faulty.

I have a different model of Electra Beckum and suspected the start capacitor was on it's way out because sometimes when turned on it did not start up and this was usually followed by the 13A fuse blowing, if I already had the blade spinning using a stick when turning on it would carry on as normal. In my case replacing the capacitor sorted out the problem or as Pete says above, bipass the NVR switch to discount that as being faulty.
I would second this suggestion. Especially if the motor hums or buzzes when switched on but doesn't rotate. If you're feeling brave (and careful!) you could try manually rotating the blade (with a piece of wood, of course!) to see if that starts it running properly. If so, then the capacitor has to be the main suspect. Easy to replace.

I would second this suggestion. Especially if the motor hums or buzzes when switched on but doesn't rotate. If you're feeling brave (and careful!) you could try manually rotating the blade (with a piece of wood, of course!) to see if that starts it running properly. If so, then the capacitor has to be the main suspect. Easy to replace.
As above. If you can get to look at the start capacitor then you may find it has burst ... a lot of solid goo coming out ...
Easy to replace, says he not having seen one on your motor ... as they usually have push on terminals.
Cheers, Phil

I have an old Kity 619 that had the same problem and after I bypassed the switch it started ok, so it was the switch. I bought a good replacement from Charnwood.

first thing I would try is putting the shop vac on the switch and suck it out real good!.

Oft times folks use compressed air to blow off the dust, but in the case of switches, pushes dust into the workings.

Causing it not to work

DAMHIK

Eric

Back