Table saw with 19 mm T slots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyjavey

Reaction score
I'm a new member to this forum and a keen diy/woodworker enthusiast. I'm not into fine joinery, but do enjoy my wood working to make things such as garden benches, garden gates, bird boxes and bird tables, shelves, storage units (for garage etc.). I currently have a second hand Performance Power 254mm table saw (FMTC1500TK). It has served me reasonably well for the past 6 or so years, but it is not as accurate as I'd like. I've adjusted the blade, but the mitre gauge and fence are not really that good to give the precision I would like.

I'm looking at a new saw (or a decent secondhand one) which is accurate and fill fit into my moveable bench (with built in compound mitre saw and router table) with some minor modifications to the framework. I don't have the space in my single garage for a floor standing machine (too many tools and the 8' x 4' moveable bench!). I did pre-empt buying a new table saw when I bought a Kreg precision mitre guage which runs in 19mm slots which was on sale at a price I couldn't refuse.

So, my question is, what new/secondhand table saw do you recommend at a budget of c. £350 that will be accurate and has 19mm slots, or would I be better removing the old top off my saw and making my own top with 19mm slots, and then aligning the saw to the slots.

I know the Clarke CTS14 table saw has 19mm slots but not sure about it's accuracy.

Thank you.

3rd option is to make a new bar for the Kreg to suit whatever saw you get. 3/4" (19mm) is the standard, but hardly anything in the UK has this size!

3rd option is to make a new bar for the Kreg to suit whatever saw you get. 3/4" (19mm) is the standard, but hardly anything in the UK has this size!
I'm a new member to this forum and a keen diy/woodworker enthusiast. I'm not into fine joinery, but do enjoy my wood working to make things such as garden benches, garden gates, bird boxes and bird tables, shelves, storage units (for garage etc.). I currently have a second hand Performance Power 254mm table saw (FMTC1500TK). It has served me reasonably well for the past 6 or so years, but it is not as accurate as I'd like. I've adjusted the blade, but the mitre gauge and fence are not really that good to give the precision I would like.

I'm looking at a new saw (or a decent secondhand one) which is accurate and fill fit into my moveable bench (with built in compound mitre saw and router table) with some minor modifications to the framework. I don't have the space in my single garage for a floor standing machine (too many tools and the 8' x 4' moveable bench!). I did pre-empt buying a new table saw when I bought a Kreg precision mitre guage which runs in 19mm slots which was on sale at a price I couldn't refuse.

So, my question is, what new/secondhand table saw do you recommend at a budget of c. £350 that will be accurate and has 19mm slots, or would I be better removing the old top off my saw and making my own top with 19mm slots, and then aligning the saw to the slots.

I know the Clarke CTS14 table saw has 19mm slots but not sure about it's accuracy.

Thank you.

I read your argument and I'm approximately 4000+ miles from your location with the same problems, I purchased my Craftman 10' tabletop with stand just before Sears started to close down their stores and the trademark went with the stores; the accuracy you wish to harvest CAN be obtained on your trustworthy tabletop BUT you must be willing to apply yourself and I believe you can based on the image you've provided about yourself; If you can produce gates, benches and storage units you can certainly improve your equipment to your standards and get a satisfaction that you will not get buying another unit UNLESS it's NEW (top dollar/pounds); I've added fold down wings on my unit both on the left and right sides including the back sides simply because I too lack the space that a full woodworking shop needs; another obstacle you'll have to work with and think very carefully is the fence, the price on some of these units can gobble up your entire budget; many fellow woodworkers do not realize that the fence is NOT just the fence, it's also the guide rail, the front and the rear locking mechanism that go with the tool; this TOO can be made to a high degree of satisfaction; whatever fence you decide on including your blades will work very well assuming you align both properly, front and back of your blades, front and back of your fence; to end my story i'm thinking of building a separate fully roofed shop with the consent of the wife (always); I only seek to inspire those that already are there but seem to not know it, good luck, Michael C.

I have a Scheppach HS105 table saw that has a cast Al top, with 19mm mitre slots. I’m happy with it, after some initial fettling - I’ve not got the space (or the money!) for the next level up.

Good-quality blades are really the key.

The CTS14 is good as a basic saw for a beginner but i wouldnt recommend it beyond that, you can get much better within your budget. I would look to getting a Bosch/Dewalt although you might have to be patient watching the 'bay for a deal to come up.

The Ikea plastic cutting boards make ideal mitre slot guides/rails.

3/4" is not a standard, most of the western world is metric, its the Chines units built for the US that has forced this upon us, understandable due to the size of the market, but annoying just the same, but how come some are metric and some are not?

its the Chinese units built for the US that has forced this upon us
That doesn't make any sense to me. The left-pondians hate metric - they don't even use the metric paper sizes (A0 - A6) and they begrudge the ISO standards for threads still preferring their UN system. They have had to accept the metric system simply to align with the rest of us rather than the other way around.

The second point is that 3/4" is 0.00197" larger than 19mm so although in reality there is a possibility that a 3/4" tenon could 'bind' in a 19mm slot, with machining tolerances greater than -2 thou on a tenon & +2 thou on the slot, the chances are high that problems are unlikely - and could soon be solved with very little 'fetteling'.

Back