Table saw v band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been to the new Axminster store in Warrington and I was like a suger deprived kid in a sweetshop =P~ ! I'm a real novice but have caught the woodworking bug and I'm quickly finding that my ebay bought equipment is not as good or as adequate as I first thought. So I've decided to relist them on ebay to get near to what I paid.

Whilst I was browsing the store I decided to buy next week

1. Kreg precision router table
2. Makita MLT100 Saw Bench
3. Axminster MB9020 Bench Top Planer Thicknesser

I need a general thumbs up/down on whether there's better out there and finally the chap in the store told me that I would be better off with a band saw rather than a table saw, whats your opinion?

A band saw doesn't take up as much space as what a table saw should have. So bare that in mind.

But speaking from my own experience in a large workshop.... I'd get a table saw. I used to believe that a band saw was much better and more versatile, but now after using panel/ table saws with sliding carriage, I can honestly say the table saw is more valuable. You can cut angles, rebates, tennons, notches, rip, crosscut and cut sheets to size and square.

The only thing a bandsaw is more benifical for in my opinion is... curved work, scribing and more intricate pieces.

When I first setup an "At-Home-Workshop" the only machine I bought was a benchtop bandsaw and it served me very well, unfortunatley I don't currently have space for a workshop at home, but when I do, I'll probably just get another benchtop bandsaw and make do, due to the space a table saw does take up.

The Kreg is very nice but very expensive. A router table is something simple enough to make yourself - at a huge saving.
The Makita and the Axminster planer/thicknesser both use brush motors - very noisy! Look for induction motored equivalents.
The bandsaw and table saw each have their best uses and it's nice to have both - I find essential.

I say make your own router table and spend the money saved to get both types of saw :)

Good luck!

Horses for courses..

Answer depends on what you need / want to do

Cutting 8x4 sheets, rebates or door blanks to size = Table saw.

Smaller stuff than above, tennons, notches, angles, rip, crosscuts, recutting to whatever thickness = Band saw, your only size limitations will be based upon table size / throat size and distance between blade and arm.

So the bottom line is how much 'big' stuff do you need to saw that wont fit on the band saw

If I were me.... band saw and router first.

Ditto Davy P. Unless you have a big space to work in and are thinking of going pro,
get a band saw but as big as you can manage/afford.
Willy.

Good advice on the induction motor, and it looks as though it's the table saw. I do have room for the band saw but for what I want to do at the moment the table saw suits better.

I hadn't considered making my own router table and I'm not sure I'm good enough yet, the Kreg is such a nice bit of kit and seems to be superior to anything I've actually seen so far.

Any suggestions on which table saw, not more than £450 to spend on this unless I ditch the planer thicknesser for now.

If you've determined on a TS ditch the planer/thicknesser and buy a good quality TS, you'll end up doing so eventually and you will have paid twice. (We've all been there!)
Why a PT anyway? Have you considered separate planer and thicknesser?

Roy.

Very interesting question, but 2 key things are: how much space, and what work volume? A table-saw is space-hungry, particularly as it needs to be central to work well. If you do a lot of board ripping a bandsaw is very good. Whilst table-saws are great for handling 8 x 4 sheets, you need a really big one (sliding carriage etc) and unless you work sheets a lot, then it's maybe not worth it?
one thing I think is don't buy it all at once. Start with either one or the other (table or band) and develop what works for you best. Odds are you will end up changing something quite soon if you make a hasty decision on all of them.
(I'll own up to being a big bandsaw fan, but respect that commercial shops need a big table saw... horses and all that.)

I had both TS and BS but sold the band saw. With jigs my TS cuts dove tails, finger joints, tenons, mitres, thin slices for inlays, separates top from base when box making, dados etc and has a a router permanently installed under one extension.

Roy.

It all depends on what you want to do and how much of it and how much space you have.
I would definitely question the above advice to use a TS for ripping 8x4 sheets. To do so (and yes, it is possible)you need a LOT of space and a VERY big (FWR expensive) TS, and a £450 model is not going to fit into that category. You are much better off buying a circular saw and cutting sheets on trestles or a piece of insulation and making a guide track.

A TS excels at straight cuts, a BS requires a bit more care in setting up, does curved work as well as straight, takes up less space, has narrower capacity - pros and cons.

S

As someone with a bandsaw but no table saw I'd like to say that I find the bandsaw to be a very pleasant machine to work with. It's quiet, can be accurate (if set up properly) and it's a very safe machine.

I'd probably get a table saw if I had the space for it but I suspect that, as with my hand-held circular saw, I'd be filling my pants every time I used it.

I've got the Axminster benchtop P/T and I've been very impressed with it for hobby-level wood processing. As for the noise, I wear ear defenders so it's no problem.

For the router table, I've got the Triton router which is designed so go in a router table and provides you with the above table adjustment and tool changes so the rest of the table is really easy to build yourself. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...+Mode+Precision+Router+240V/d40/sd2767/p54513

I've got the Axminster benchtop P/T and I've been very impressed with it for hobby-level wood processing. As for the noise, I wear ear defenders so it's no problem.
Maybe but what about the rest of the household and the neighbours?

The first time I used my brush PT my wife said it was noisy even down the end of the half acre garden!
I soon changed it for an induction motored model and it's hugely better. :)

dh7892":f5jsgrkz said:
As someone with a bandsaw but no table saw I'd like to say that I find the bandsaw to be a very pleasant machine to work with. It's quiet, can be accurate (if set up properly) and it's a very safe machine.

Same here.

I can't say I'm surprised at the many different views and opinions, for which I'm grateful. I've decided on a TS, Makita 2704 and the Kreg PRS2000 router table and accessories. After reading Roys post I'm opting for the thicknesser only.

I've set myself a target of building my own kitchen units in four years time, I start night school next year to become proficient in woodworking rather than bumble along, with varying degrees of success, like I'm doing now. I just wanted to make sure I have the best tools that I can afford whilst I learn,

Thanks for all the advice.

You probably won't be taught so at college but a thicknesser can, under the right conditions, double as a planer, also, if you've ever watch Norm you will find that he frequently goes from table saw to glue up.
First time I saw that I was horrified, but with a reasonable quality TS and a decent blade it is very possible indeed.
I have a TS, planer, thicknesser, pillar drill and dust extractor. With those I have produced furniture etc of sufficient quality that people have asked to have similar made or offered to purchase, if I can do it I see no reason why you shouldn't.
Good luck and shout if you need help, that's what this forum is all about.

Roy.

I'd give the Maikta a miss. All said an done it's a contractors\site saw and not aimed at cabinet\furniture making. I would suggest you keep an eye on the Bay for a Kity 319 or an Axi 2000 (or whatever the nbr is). A lot of hobbyists here have one of those 2 and they are excellent saws.

As for a PT - for-sale-planer-thicknesser-t55225.html - someone was selling an excellent P\T, for very good money.

Dibs

p.s. Might be an idea to wait and see how night school goes - power tools just allow you to loose fingers far quicker.

Dibs-h":1t4gilzv said:
I'd give the Maikta a miss. All said an done it's a contractors\site saw and not aimed at cabinet\furniture making. I would suggest you keep an eye on the Bay for a Kity 319 or an Axi 2000 (or whatever the nbr is). A lot of hobbyists here have one of those 2 and they are excellent saws.

As for a PT - for-sale-planer-thicknesser-t55225.html - someone was selling an excellent P\T, for very good money.

Dibs

p.s. Might be an idea to wait and see how night school goes - power tools just allow you to loose fingers far quicker.

Thanks for that, I'll be googling later! I'm confident with power tools and always work safely, just not confident when it comes to deciding which joints to use and which tools or jigs are the best for each application.

Dibs-h":3kz5r3sb said:

Dibs

It is a Kity 419 or a Axminster TS 200 isnt it dibs?

marcros":1isvivwo said:
Dibs-h":1isvivwo said:

Dibs

It is a Kity 419 or a Axminster TS 200 isnt it dibs?

I'm sure on the Kity 419 (as I have one). Wasn't too sure what the Axi one was, apart from 2something. Quick check on Google\Axi and yes, it is the TS200.

Dibs

Latest posts

Back