Table saw upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve007

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment ive got a mk 1 axminster ts200 table saw

And like to upgrade to a bigger motor and blade size

Whats peoples thought on whats out there new or second hand
The saw once in place wont be move

As to be uk 240v also

Cheers steve

I think there are a few things you need to decide.
1. Exactly what features you would like.
- sliding table?
- is a tilting blade important to you
- do you use sheet materials where a scribing cutter before the main blade would be useful?
- maximum thickness you want to cut ( and at what bevel angles if any)
2. How much space do you have for the saw. Can you accommodate a floor standing saw.
3. How much work and effort are you prepared to do on a saw, I.e. would you consider a secondhand machine?

For secondhand, if it’s floor standing have a look at Wadkin AGS10 &12, Startrite 175 and 275, Sedgwick TA315 & LK.

A friend on this forum was looking to upgrade his saw a few months ago. I have a number of different machines (virtually all of the saws Ive suggested) in my workshop and after looking at them all he decided to buy a SCM Si15 after using my main saw.....a SCM Si15...he’s converted it from 3ph to 1ph and will accommodate it in single garage with other machines. In all, the machine and conversion will probably have cost around your budget. The SCM is a production saw, larger foot print than the others I’ve mentioned and weighs in at c750KG. But it will rip 5 1/2”, has a sliding table, scribe blade, will happily run all day every day, it’s extremely accurate and produces an almost planned finish.

I've got a startrite 175 and it's brilliant, they're not dear second hand either. Having said that, if you're making hives and frames etc then are you sure you need a table saw? A mitre saw might be a better fit...

If your making National Hives / frames a Wadkin Radial Arm saw would be brilliant. A few flip stops (or one and a couple of spacers) and you would be setup for quick production. It can be used to trench and rebate as well as compound mitre cuts its required.
They are as cheap as chips, and using the Wadkin Manual which is available online for free can be setup to be absolutely accurate very easily and quickly.

Hello Steve007
Those questions above will help folks to give you a better answer.
Other questions I would have asked also would be...
Are you working on your own / in a non shared workspace environment with no H&S officer visits required?

You say you only want a 240v machine, yet you don't mention what sockets you've got.

If working on your own, and you've only got 13amp household sockets then 2HP single phase is the max size you can run on a 13a socket.
A nice three phase, 3HP Startrite 275, or a Wadkin would run easily with a VFD from a household plug, and be an easy way to get a good saw
for cheap.
I went for a 3 phase Startrite tilt arbor DS275, It was that or a wadkin for a few reasons....

It was the cheapest saw I could get with the features I was looking for.
In order of importance....
My household supply is weak so I wanted a 3 phase machine that can start easier using VFD/inverter
Riving knife and tilting arbor (which tilts left, away from the fence unlike some old Multico's)
Cast iron top with a miter slot each side of the blade.
Not too heavy at 210 KGS which you can move yourself, dismantle it and easily put into a small hatchback
The Startrite DS model has a sliding table.

Tom

Hi
Yeah its only 3 pin house hold plug

I work allow
Space is a bit of a problem i need a saw that can cut upto 80cm with a side table on the right side only
Ive got a ts200 at moment but want to got abit bigger say 10” blade

A three phase Wadkin or Startrite would be less than half the price of that saw, more depth of cut, and you wouldn't need to call in a sparky.
There's plenty of ones that have table extensions to the right of the machine too, which you can dismantle.

Latest posts

Back