Table saw top flatness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upgrade fence? The only one I remember seeing was for bandsaws and I don't think that would be much of an upgrade.

The old TS200 fence was terrible. The AC216 fence is a big upgrade on that.

I'm not sure how you could critisce it really. The only thing it is really missing is a microadjuster.

I don't have any direct experience of it. Just from reading reviews on their website that mention some shortcomings. To me I don't see how a fence that only attaches at one end can avoid some deflection.

There's an upgrade fence on the site, at least I think it's the one mentioned. It's called deluxe rip fence upgrade. Not sure if links are allowed so I didn't post it.

Most fences that clamp on both sides are usually on site saws. It isn’t a guarantee that it will be parallel with the blade. In fact, with poorer implementations of that dual lock mechanism, it is actually a hinderance.

Regardless, on this fence at least, if you are pushing hard enough on the fence to deflect it to affect the cut, you are doing it wrong.

Fair enough. The one on my saw is very easy to deflect, but it's a much cheaper saw and is all around bad. I actually brace it at the rear with a bit of wood and a clamp to prevent this. I'm sure it'd definitely be better on the axe.

I thought most of the big cabinet saws tended to go right across and lock on the other side too? Or if not lock then at least register against a guide?

Sorry for my repeated typos by the way, I think I'm getting too old to use my mobile phone!

Inutopia":1n1fzxez said:
I thought most of the big cabinet saws tended to go right across and lock on the other side too? Or if not lock then at least register against a guide?

No, most don’t that I’ve seen. Even the upgrade sawstop fence only clamps on one side.

Just to check back in, I received my saw yesterday and got it checked over. Can confirm that the table is flat on mine. The saw was also very close to being accurate out of the box. For my use I'll go through the various alignments to get it dialed perfectly, but I suspect many would be happy with the accuracy as it is.

Also, that fence is a thing of beauty. Easy to move in tiny increments and locks square every time, fantastic!

Inutopia":3e667roi said:
Just to check back in, I received my saw yesterday and got it checked over. Can confirm that the table is flat on mine. The saw was also very close to being accurate out of the box. For my use I'll go through the various alignments to get it dialed perfectly, but I suspect many would be happy with the accuracy as it is.

Also, that fence is a thing of beauty. Easy to move in tiny increments and locks square every time, fantastic!
Good - the fence I've never had issue with, I think there was one poster on here that made negative comments about it, but I'm guessing they'd never used the TS200mk1 fence :)

The most annoying thing about the setup for me was the internal semi ridgid pipe that you have to fit between the external housing and the dust shroud - that really should have been fitted at the factory.

One thing that is missing in the manual (unless they've redone it from last year) is the adjustment of the mitre slots to the blade. Basically, you have to unbolt the top from the body (via the underside) and move it. In the old TS200 it described doing this as part of the setup. Mine was squared up correctly out of the box, so they must have more confidence in that this time.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry, just to confirm I'm referring to the DWE7485 not the Axe. I'd ruled that out due to the fence system.

Judging by the other thread just posted, and the reviews on their site, I'm not the only one with reservations in that area. Just couldn't justify the extra cash for something that would likely need changed in the future.

Inutopia":1um7bo9h said:
Sorry, just to confirm I'm referring to the DWE7485 not the Axe. I'd ruled that out due to the fence system.

Judging by the other thread just posted, and the reviews on their site, I'm not the only one with reservations in that area. Just couldn't justify the extra cash for something that would likely need changed in the future.
Ok fair enough.

For the record the fence is 100% on mine :)

Inutopia":1cjpcxc5 said:

Yes the fence on the dewalt is very nice. Glad to hear yours is flat :D

Latest posts

Back