Table saw top flatness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat Pat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i’m a noob to both workshop tools and the forum, I’ve bought a Dewalt DWE7485 table saw (it was a good deal, £404 delivered), and wanted to know how flat the top needs to be?

I realise its a site saw but mine has a lot of variation. Bit of a hump front to back of about a mm or so under a straight edge.

Having successfully made a replacement cill for one of my windows with hand tools the plan is to attempt to make some sashes and eventually full box sash windows for my home. Wondering if I should have bought the Axminster Craft with cast iron top??

If I make sleds/jigs for crosscuts, miters and joints does it matter if the dewalt is not super flat?

Interesting Pat - I will be checking mine when it arrives early next week and will let you know what it is like.
I would have thought the sled would straighten out (not level out) the variations. Another option would be to get FFX to replace as they should be flat when new - even if it is pressed aluminium - when new

A hump is dangerous, as the stuff will pivot as it’s cut. I wouldn’t accept a saw with a hump, hollow isn’t desirable but acceptable IMO

Thx bob. How’d you know it was from ffx lol!

I believe the top is cast alloy? A mil seems too much to me, but I’m a noob so... i did check online for info and in one vid they were talking a few thou of an inch out is fine, for a cast top cabinet saw. Sleds should negate it I think, but still its a brand new saw, I expected a bit better tbh

deema":2abnsx3e said:
A hump is dangerous, as the stuff will pivot as it’s cut. I wouldn’t accept a saw with a hump, hollow isn’t desirable but acceptable IMO

Ah, that’s great info thanks! It’s going back then

Is the Axminster Craft saw underpowered? And I read that the riving knife is higher than the blade.

I was going to make a table for the dewalt so prob wouldn’t need the cabinet base, not sure about the sliding arm? It suddenly becomes a lot of £££ with all the extras.

Flat Pat":3003826h said:
Thx bob. How’d you know it was from ffx lol!
The price - eBay offer - I actually bought two - the first one I purchased was the wrong voltage :oops: but only realised once I got the dispatch notification on my phone #-o - FFX have recalled that so hopefully I should get my money back for that next week.

If I have an issue with the saw I may go for the Craft as well - I might have to sell one of the children though :D

Hah, same offer yes.

Looking at the axminster saw now...its even in my basket, gulp. Debating whether to get the base and/or sliding arm thing. Tbh i’m not experienced enough to know.

The dewalt is 1800w vs 1100w for the ts216, that does worry me a bit.

I don't know where you are located but there are two axminster's for sale on eBay - London and St Albans

Thx. I have been looking but they all seem to be too far.

I had itchy finger tho and have bought the 216ts :shock:

Flat Pat":224ccznm said:
Thx. I have been looking but they all seem to be too far.

I had itchy finger tho and have bought the 216ts :shock:

Did you buy the extra's as well??

Regarding power, don't forget that manufacturers do display their power differently - I think Axminster do use the lowest when quoting power - other manufacturers don't.

I think I got that from a Peter Sellers video on YouTube

Good point re. power. Its also induction so potentially quieter (neighbours)

I only bought the saw in the end. Delivery is still free so I can always buy accessories later if i need too.

Had a look at the dewalt top again and its shocking, gap >1mm, like all four corners have been pushed down. Maybe dropped?

at least FFX have a 30 day return - don't know about the postage element though - although I think you may be able to get free returns through PayPal. Keep us updated on how the Axminster is - I hope you have been working out as it weighs 60+kg !!!!

Yeah heheh, got a message saying delivery driver only contracted to kerbside delivery, and will need help.

I won’t be paying return cost as I’ll argue it’s damaged/not fit for purpose. Looking at the box, the top plate lays flush to the bottom with zero packing. If dropped its just 3mm of cardboard between it and the pavement. No wonder its bent tbh.

Will report back on the ‘minster!

I'll keep an eye on mine too, re table flatness, apparently it's arriving Monday.

I looked at the axeminster, and although the cast iron top and induction motor were appealing the fence didn't look very good to me. All to similar a design to those you get on cheap saws. If be interested to know how it is with deflection and setting straight when you lock it.

I have one of the predecessors of the 216, the TS250m-2. I got it second hand and *really* wish it had the extension and fence upgrade. I have the slider, and once I got it parallel and level (total PITA) it is excellent. I’ve not had a slider on a table saw before and I really like using it. That said, if i had the option of slider or extension + wider fence, I’d have taken the extension + wider fence (blade to fence distance I mean).

Flat Pat":13p2si0m said:
Hah, same offer yes.

Looking at the axminster saw now...its even in my basket, gulp. Debating whether to get the base and/or sliding arm thing. Tbh i’m not experienced enough to know.

The dewalt is 1800w vs 1100w for the ts216, that does worry me a bit.
It is a trade off. What you gain in quietness and consistency you loose a bit with the power.

I have the Axy, and as long as you use a dedicated rip blade (like a 24tooth Freud) for hardwood ripping, you can do full depth cuts without any trouble.

Inutopia":s72p35qj said:
I'll keep an eye on mine too, re table flatness, apparently it's arriving Monday.

I looked at the axeminster, and although the cast iron top and induction motor were appealing the fence didn't look very good to me. All to similar a design to those you get on cheap saws. If be interested to know how it is with deflection and setting straight when you lock it.
The fence is good. Consistent and stable. The sub fence is also useful.

Interesting. That's not the impression I got from reviews of the saw. They also sell ab upgrade fence I understand?

Latest posts

Back