Table Saw table coating wear - what to do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Whitfield

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a broken Scheppach TS105 the other day for a price I couldn't say no to, but with its repair there's an issue I'm not sure what to do about.

Primarily on the front and back, in-line with where the previous owner used to pass rough treated timber through it the coating (some hard paint I presume) has worn/been knocked off to reveal the aluminium table underneath. Aesthetically I don't care but this lack of coating in places leaves low spots and edges for work to catch on.

Has anyone else experienced this and done anything about it?

I've been considering cleaning and (brush) painting the low spots with some hammerite and then lightly sanding to level things off but maybe I'd be wasting my time?

I expect it will be the anodising.

A picture would help.

My first thought is car body filler then sand flush, or file any sharp edges and leave as is.

I have an oldish Kity 618 which I think is similar to your Schepppach model. The top is coated in a dark Grey low friction Teflon...I think..!

Apologies for the lack of pictures - I forgot to take one when I was over with it earlier today (preoccupied with fixing a HC260 - might do a thread on that later...).

Initially when I saw the thing I presumed it was anodised but the coating has definitely got a "thickness" that I've never seen with anodising.

I would coat the whole top in Epoxy Resin after giving it a sand to act as a key, level up an edge all around and at the blade and pour on, then make a thicker blade insert to compensate.

I would coat the whole top in Epoxy Resin after giving it a sand to act as a key, level up an edge all around and at the blade and pour on, then make a thicker blade insert to compensate.
I like the idea but with the mitre slots, insert, and table extension to deal with, plus rounded and curved corners I think it might be a bit of a stretch for now at least.

I'd worry that the additional thickness on the table would then cause issues with the fence and possibly mitre slot attachments though.

Use an Epoxy floor paint if you are worried about thickness, tough/ resilient and can be applied with the roller.

Back