table saw runners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benji687

Reaction score
Where would I source UHMV plastic runners for my table saw. dimensions of slots are 19mm by 6mm. Any help would be grateful. Based in Dublin Ireland.

If they are for a sled of one sort or another hardwood works just fine. When they finally wear out replace them or make a new jig, it's likely time anyway. It's what everyone used before the notion that plastic, aluminium, steel etc had to be bought for the job.

Pete

Where would I source UHMV plastic runners for my table saw. dimensions of slots are 19mm by 6mm. Any help would be grateful. Based in Dublin Ireland.
I have 6mm slots too. I bought mine from Amazon. Would let you have the link but Amazon doesn't seem to work this early. They don't always have it in stock.

Be careful cutting hard plastics. They are prone to violent kickback using a conventional blade. If you have to do it , invest in a negative rake blade.
I make sleds all the time as I have an American saw and simply rely on whatever bit of straight hardwood I can find.

I personally have a Startrite. The grooves in the top are only 1/4" deep- All the aftermarket runners I have seen are 3/8".
I just bought 2 pieces of 3/4" x 1/4" gauge plate 18" long. It took me a couple of days of hand lapping to get one to fit as it was about 10 thou oversize. I then had to buy some American taps to fit it to my Incra mitre bar. It's nearly there, a little tight still.
I still want some UHMWPE for sleds but I guess I'll have to keep looking.

I got some UHMW at a local plastics distributor, they had a useful sized offcut for a few pounds. Not very helpful I know. I've also used Ikea chopping boards in the past for other things I needed to make from UHMW (or similar).

Be careful cutting hard plastics. They are prone to violent kickback using a conventional blade. If you have to do it , invest in a negative rake blade.

Just wanted to emphasise what recipio said – be very careful! I had a violet kickback cutting 10mm polycarbonate (PC) sheet on my mitre saw, violent enough to break the plastic housing of the saw (luckily I was fine, and surprisingly the saw didn't get knocked out of true or as far as I can tell damaged beyond the cosmetic breakage). I was even using a -5º negative rake ("for aluminium") blade. On the plus side, it gave me some reassurance just how tough PC is – same stuff safety glasses/goggles are made from!

After that experience, I personally would not cut a hard plastic on the table saw again – too risky. UHMW is somewhat softer and less grabby than PC, but still, be careful!

Latest posts

Back