Table saw recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffers

Reaction score
New to the forum and looking for some recommendations on table saws. Looking for a 10inch but all that I can find require a 16amp supply. And any 2hp models are all US with no UK distribution.

I have an Axminster AT254SB which is 2.2kw so 3hp or thereabouts. Officially it needs a 16 amp supply. I’ve removed the 16a plug and run from a 13 amp plug with no bother, it’s never thrown the trip once in the few years I’ve had it. I do make sure it’s up to speed before starting the dust extractor though. Many others I believe do the same. My planer thicknesser with the same motor rating will only run on a 16 amp supply - must be the current draw spinning the heavy block up.

Simon

Don't discount 3 phase if your wanting a bargain, and only have 13a sockets.
A Far Eastern VFD costs about a hundred quid what you need to run it, if it has a dual voltage motor
(look on the motor nameplate tab for 220 or 240, which means it can run off of household 240 volts, otherwise it will cost an extra 50 squid for an inverter that runs 380 or 400v.
Plenty of motors are actually dual voltage, but only state high voltage "star" on the plate.

Look up Startrite 275 conversion, a popular saw used in schools, what can be got quite cheaply and abundant.
Some nice old Wadkins out there also for usually a tad more.

Forget about single phase American motors, as they're supply runs on 60 Hertz, compared to our 50hz supply.
That shipping and possible customs would be prohibitive also.
Probably a nice three phase machine for a bargain near you, if you look on gumtree, and eBay.
Bob Minchin has wrote an article in depth called.... induction_motor s_issue3.pdf
Can't give you a link to his woodhaven2 forum which has the pdf under his signature.

Look up the Startrite threads, hooking up a vfd is easy, and you will never look back.
Kinda opens up a world of machinery going for a song.

Just posted these recently for another man with one....

Found a few, but there are plenty of Startrite 275 VFD threads

startrite-275-table-saw-conversion-3-phase-single-phase-t106896.html?hilit=inverter%20startrite&start=30

can-anyone-fit-a-3-phase-inverter-for-me-t109500.html?hilit=inverter%20startrite&start=15

3-phase-to-single-phase-startrite-275-conversion-from-3-ph-t91106.html

startrite-tilt-arbor-circular-saw-t88484.html

Tom

Thanks for your replays. I will take a look at the record power as it looks about what I am after. Anyone with alternative recommendations?

Jeffers":2l95qic3 said:
Thanks for your replays. I will take a look at the record power as it looks about what I am after. Anyone with alternative recommendations?

Here's an alternative I've had for a few years now. I left the 16a plug on and wired a 16a socket as a spur from the ring main. May work on 13a plug but haven't tried.

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-01332-250 ... -saw-bench

Back