Table saw questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amir

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time posting here, will appreciate any help with making this decision.

I've been an amateur woodworker for a few years but only earlier this year (Feb) we bought our own house. This means that I finally have a small-ish garage that I've been slowly converting into a workshop with the first purchase back in April being a table saw.

I won't go into too much detail as it's an ongoing thing but suffice it to say I've made a mistake and bought a cheap table saw that wasn't particularly accurate nor sturdy.
Last week it died on me so it's time to return it and get a better one.

I would say my budget is around £1K up to £1.3K if absolutely necessary.

Reading some of the previous threads on the subject, it seems that my options are mainly the SIP 01332 or the iTECH 250mm although I may be missing some options out there.
From the tech specs, these two looks very similar. Are there any major (or minor) differences between them?

Because of the size of my garage, I'll need this table saw to be somewhat mobile (I see that iTech have a wheel kit that might work, not sure about the SIP).

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I forgot to mention them.
I was also looking at the AT254SB from Axminster which seems like a decent saw. The main issue is that it's out of stock at the moment and I don't want to wait too long... I did sign up to get notified when it's back but not sure how long that will be.

The iTech seems to be in stock. The SIP is also out of stock at least on the main website I checked.

I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for the better machine, I'm just not sure what the advantage of the Axminster over the iTech (for example)

I'm about 40 minutes from High Wycombe so doable if they have it in stock.
I'll give them a ring and check. Thanks.

I brought an Itech the other week. Received it just over a week ago. managed to get it assembled most over the weekend. Just got to pop into screw fix and get a 3 pin plug socket. (I have read in may places that it should run on a 13A plug so long as the belt isn't to tight). over all happy with the saw but a little issue I have is with the fence it is not as advertised on the website. The website has the picture of the a circular sight glass in the fence extrusion. The sight glass is actually as picture below. I was a little disappointed as the first thing I have to do is make a new sight glass. Sort of let down by such a simple fix. The fence style on the website is for the 12".

Anyway the guys at scosarg where great about it so got an extra blade for my trouble. Will fire it up over the weekend and let you know. On Axminister I phoned them couple of weeks ago and said they have a ton of them coming in the end of this month.
20201018_170552.jpg
20201018_170538.jpg

Wasn't there a sip or i itech for sale this last week in the for sale section?

I've been pondering over one for ages.

A “left field” suggestion and maybe a little more than 1k but do consider festools saw stop table saw. Although not a transitional cabinet saw, I was watching a video of it’s capabilities and I was impressed.

or u can find a decent working Wadkin, Sedgwick for a bit less than that kinda money....they will always demo a machine....
but these old ones never have any real troubles....
if ur a bit handy u could buy a 3phase machine and either get a VFD or another 240v motor...very easy to swop over......
just look on the bay of fleas.....
dont be in a rush, theres always stuff on sale esp in ur part of the country.....

this one may do.....?
theres nothing cheap Wadkin wise this today but tomorrow who knows.......
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multico-...704312?hash=item23ce856638:g:oqQAAOSwmgNeFOCCI sold off a spare 240volt, 10" wadkin a while ago for €500's......they do come up....
remember the Wadkin's and the like of this world will never loose money in fact often they get more valuable.....
this modern stuff SIP etc will be almost worthless in 5 years time......
when I sold my Wadkin equip workshop some time ago, after 10 years of solid work (restoring a 17cent water mill) I made a very good profit.....
and they were over 20 years old when I bought them......

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll be making a few calls tomorrow and hopefully soon will be able to post something to the projects forum :)

I brought an Itech the other week. Received it just over a week ago. managed to get it assembled most over the weekend. Just got to pop into screw fix and get a 3 pin plug socket. (I have read in may places that it should run on a 13A plug so long as the belt isn't to tight). over all happy with the saw but a little issue I have is with the fence it is not as advertised on the website. The website has the picture of the a circular sight glass in the fence extrusion. The sight glass is actually as picture below. I was a little disappointed as the first thing I have to do is make a new sight glass. Sort of let down by such a simple fix. The fence style on the website is for the 12".

Anyway the guys at scosarg where great about it so got an extra blade for my trouble. Will fire it up over the weekend and let you know. On Axminister I phoned them couple of weeks ago and said they have a ton of them coming in the end of this month.
View attachment 94661View attachment 94662
Hi,

Did you get a 13amp plug? I am sure the "proper" way to do this is teo get a 16amp comando to 13amp plug adapter - that way if you ever sell the machine any future purchasers will know its got a bit inrush current (16amps).

Whats it like as a saw... i am tempted.

this one may do.....?
theres nothing cheap Wadkin wise this today but tomorrow who knows.......
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multico-...312?hash=item23ce856638:g:eek:qQAAOSwmgNeFOCCI sold off a spare 240volt, 10" wadkin a while ago for €500's......they do come up....
remember the Wadkin's and the like of this world will never loose money in fact often they get more valuable.....
this modern stuff SIP etc will be almost worthless in 5 years time......
when I sold my Wadkin equip workshop some time ago, after 10 years of solid work (restoring a 17cent water mill) I made a very good profit.....
and they were over 20 years old when I bought them......

The SIP won't be worthless in 10 years. I bought my Axminster 10" saw 10 years ago for £500 and probably still worth £400 no bother.

The SIP won't be worthless in 10 years. I bought my Axminster 10" saw 10 years ago for £500 and probably still worth £400 no bother.
People like to think everything made in china will have disintegrated in 10 years and only be useful for scrap but of course its nonsense, a well made tool in china is still a well made tool. Is it as well made as a Wadkin that cost £1500-£2500 25 years ago? Of course not, but the location of origin isn't the driver behind that.

Latest posts

Back