Table saw power supply problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmoorphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have finally finished assembling my new Axminster AW10BSB2 table saw but I am having trouble with the power supply.
I have a consumer unit in the garage with a ring main on a 32 amp breaker and a couple of lighting circuits. There was a spare socket so I decided to install a dedicated socket for the saw.I Installed a 16 amp type 'C' MCB and then ran cabling through a 20 amp switch through to a proper 16 amp blue socket. I thought that if I used a type C mcb then this would cope with the initial startup of the saw.
Unfortunately it doesn't work and as soon as i turn the saw on the whole consumer unit blows. I thought that only the 16 amp breaker would go if it was overloaded so I am wondering if there could be a problem elsewhere. If anybody could offer some advice I would be grateful.
Spent two weeks putting the saw together and now i want to use it!
Thanks.

redmoorphil":3qv1p6jn said:
Hi guys,
I have finally finished assembling my new Axminster AW10BSB2 table saw but I am having trouble with the power supply.
I have a consumer unit in the garage with a ring main on a 32 amp breaker and a couple of lighting circuits. There was a spare socket so I decided to install a dedicated socket for the saw.I Installed a 16 amp type 'C' MCB and then ran cabling through a 20 amp switch through to a proper 16 amp blue socket. I thought that if I used a type C mcb then this would cope with the initial startup of the saw.
Unfortunately it doesn't work and as soon as i turn the saw on the whole consumer unit blows. I thought that only the 16 amp breaker would go if it was overloaded so I am wondering if there could be a problem elsewhere. If anybody could offer some advice I would be grateful.
Spent two weeks putting the saw together and now i want to use it!
Thanks.

Is the 32A breaker tripping or is it the RCD?

Ideally the 16A type C breaker should be powered of the incoming main directly rather than in series with the 32A (you may have already done this - apologies if you have!)
What is the power of the motor on the saw?

Bob

Hi, I had the same saw and used to run it directly off of the 13amp plug top. You may want to try this to help troubleshoot (maybe an extension lead from the house?)
I have installed 16amp circuit in my workshop now but the Axi ran for about 3 months like that..

For what its worth the spec says
The machines are supplied with a moulded 13 Amp plug (AW10BSB2) and 16 Amp plug
(AW12BSB2) with a 3 core power cable. Before using the machine inspect the cable and the plug to
make sure that neither are damaged. If any damage is visible, have the damaged item
inspected/repaired by a suitably qualified person. If it is necessary to replace the plug, it is
preferable to use an 'unbreakable' type that will resist damage on site. Only use a 13 Amp plug,
(AW10BSB2)..
Its a 2.2kW motor

If it blows as described maybe a short in wiring

maybe take off blade and try it

Hi guys,
sorry not to reply sooner - went straight into the garage after work and have now solved it.
The Type C mcb did not plug into the bus bar to attach to the live feed - it had a screw terminal instead. As there was no way to attach this to the main RCD breaker, as it did not have a terminal on the bottom, I had connected it to the live feed going into the main breaker on top.
I had already bought a type B breaker before reading about type C so I decided to wire this one up instead (it plugs straight into the bus bar).
The type B worked first time and is not blowing so everything is working fine.
The AW10BSB2 came with a 16 amp plug attached so I decided to leave it that way.
Thanks for all your suggestions though. It is great to know that you guys are there and willing to help - I really appreciate it.
Looking forward to getting in the garage this weekend and finally playing with it!

Back