Table Saw & P/T Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevef73

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
This is my first post on the forum - I've been watching from the sidelines for a few months. I'm setting up my first workshop and I need some advise on what to spend my money on. Previously I have used college or friends machinery but now want to get my own.

I'm initially looking at a Tablesaw, Planer/Thicknesser and an Extractor/Chipcollector. For the saw I'm pretty set on the Kity 419 but maybe the EB PK200 or the Scheppach TS2010. For the PT it will be either the SIP, Perform, EB or Record version of the 10"x6" machine.

My questions are:
1. How acurate is the Kity etc for Mitres and Angled cuts? Would I be better getting a cheaper saw and then getting a seperate Compound Mitre Saw?

2. Any advice on which PT to choose. Reading on the Forum they all seem to be the same machine in different colours! Do they have induction motors?

3. Would the Record RSDE2 Extractor be a good option or should I go for something higher spec?

Looking forward to reading what everyone thinks!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

Well, I have the Kity and an SIP P/T

1. The kity has a superb mitre track with no slop at all and cuts 45 degrees (or other angles) very accurately - no need for a separate saw. I found on mine that the blade tilt didn't lock as well as I hoped but the manual shows how to adjust this and it is a 10 second job; no problems since.
You might consider a tablesaw sled regardless of the saw you buy as this will be easier to control than the mitre guides and potentially safer in use.

2. The SIP, Perform, Charnwood etc. are all copies of the Elektra Bekkum P/T. All PTs have an induction motor as far as I am aware, however, stand alone portable thicknessers have brushed motors.

My SIP has been great and i am very happy with it as it has performed fantastically since new. I have built and bolted on some infeed and outfeed tables to eliminate the snipe one gets with all of these machines and the results are worth the small effort. A quick search of the forum will reveal the mod.

Hope this helps

My SIP P/T is now over 2 years one set of planer blades only put in during that time and I have not had any snipe for at least 6 months (touch wood) also I had the dust extractor deal at the same time from SIP and I am always emptying it.

Hi Tony, I thought that would be the case with the Kity. I've only ever seen it at shows and it looks/feels very solid. I've got limited space so would rather have versatile machines than a shed full of one trick ponies!

The SIP P/T does appear to get good revues - although can't see anywhere if it has an induction motor. Axminster has the Perform as a 2.2Kw Motor and the EB is a 2.2Kw Induction Motor. You think that spec's would detail important stuff like that!

Devonwoody - are you talking about the SIP 01342 Extractor? Not sure if I'm being realistic in my choice of extractor.

I've got limited space so would rather have versatile machines than a shed full of one trick ponies!

Have you considered the Kity BestCombi 2000? It is essentially the same saw as the 419. I have used one of these machines and was impressed with the general design and build quality. It stands out from other combination machines for having 3 separate motors, with safety interlocked controls. A very nice piece of kit indeed.

Ike

I've had the Perform CCNPT planer-thicknesser (Axminster) for 6 months now and have little to complain about, with the exception of when one of the pulleys wore away and in turn halted the thicknesser infeed.
(However, Axminster we very happy to send me a replacement belt ASAP and I now take good care of it, spraying so often).

I used to simply "allow for" snipe as part of my waste material but very recently got to setting up the planer tables accurately to eliminate it. Set the outfeed table to the maximum height of the blade and then set the infeed table to this.

I've had no snipe from thicknessing whatsoever.

All the best. :wink:

Stevef73.

Yes I am referring to the 01342 extractor, its the one with a top and bottom bag and on wheels and pushes around like a babies pram!

I do also have the Record RSDE1 extractor.

With the SIP I use those black plastic sacks to collect the waste in the canvas bag and it is more convenient when disposing of the contents,(but not assembling).

With the RSDE1 You have a drum full of dust which has then got to be disposed of which is a nuisance because you have to pour the contents into another container. (in my case)

ike":msersyss said:
Have you considered the Kity BestCombi 2000?

Hadn't thought about that but don't think I'll have the space to work around a Combi. I'll check it out further.

I think I'll be happy with any of the P/Ts as long as I can get it set up correctedly. As with most quality tools - look after them and they shouldn't let you down.

Good idea with the extractor and bin bags. Seems a hassle to manually empty the Record into a bag too. Can you put a bag inside the Record to solve that problem?

The inlet system on my record extractor means I cannot use a bag IMHO but perhaps some one has reinvented a new type of wheel.

Sorry I didn't realise the extractor inlet system would get in the way.

Thanks for your help - I'll post details of what I end up purchasing!

Took the plunge and went for the Kity 419. Arrived today so hopefully I'll get it set up in the workshop tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed assembly goes smoothly.

Still unsure which P/T to go for so will have a think on that while making a mess tomorrow.

Well that went much easier than expected! From a pile of boxes to a fully set up machine complete with stand, sliding carriage and table extension in a little over 4 hours. Very impressed with the build quality of the Kity! Everything fit together perfectedly, no misaligned holes or dodgy castings to complain about. Had to file a couple of rough edges on the sliding carriage assembly but nothing major.

Fence and sliding carriage are very accurate and square. Both were setup with ease and are rock solid in use. The enclosed blade gives excellent results both cross cutting and ripping. So far only put some softwood, mdf and ply through it but the Kity handled them with ease. Nice and quite too - still need ear protection though!

Only complaint would be the instructions - not very clear and the illustrations are too small to be of much use. The sliding carriage instructions are particulary tricky and require a degree of head scratching!

Safe to say that I'm very happy with my purchase at the moment and looking forward to giving the Kity a full work out over the coming weeks.

stevef73":26184fsp said:
Well that went much easier than expected!
Monty Python":26184fsp said:
You lucky, lucky, lucky bas...

That's quite enough of that

Mine didn't go together very easily at all. That said, I am particularly cack-handed when it comes to things mechanical. Now it's assembled, it works beautifully and I'm sure you'll be delighted with your purchase.

Gill

Yep I was quite surprised too! I used to work at Ikea :evil: (yes I know - please don't blacklist me!) so pretty good at reading rubbish build instructions!

Hi Steve

I was searching around for quite a while looking for a Planer thicknesser, I was looking for a good solid machine, but pricewise they were a bit heavy.
I eventually found what I was looking for on EBay, It was a Tendo made in belgium, it was a combo machine (with a slot morticer which I don't use) it has a cast iron bed and a three knife cutter head, they were on sale in the Screwfix BIG catalogue a couple of years ago for about £900, I paid around £450 for it.

It is well made although a heavy piece of kit, It has a steel mobile base but is easily moved around my small shop. The fence was a bit of a sod to get setup , but I got it sorted in the end.

For the price I paid for it I am well pleased, it does all I require, I have just planed about 300 B/Ft of american white oak with no problem on the same set of Knives, I have 3 sets of knives for it, they of HSS and have plenty of meat on them for resharpening.

Back