Table saw out feed table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I stumbled across a video on another forum today detailing why it is important to have an out feed table on your table saw.
Seeing this video has inspired me to make one for my table saw. The only issue is that a static one would take too much room up so I am looking to make one that is foldable. Does anyone know of a good design for a folding out feed table and maybe have a plan?

Graham, it could well have been me. I have one on my early DVDs, can't remember if it is WE1 or WE2, I'd have to check. As well as folding down, it moves with the saw, so if yours is mobile, the whole lot moves together. It's made as a torsion box, so it is light as well as strong.
S

katellwood":2qdg9itp said:
What table saw do you have?

Well thats the thing it's an old Wadkin PK. It does have a sliding carriage so that will also have to be thought out when it comes to design and drop downs. Maybe it's not going to happen but just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I use my Router Table behind my Table Saw as a out-feed table, Works perfectly well if you have limited space like me.

Captain":2u3qcbvr said:
I use my Router Table behind my Table Saw as a out-feed table, Works perfectly well if you have limited space like me.
Good idea but I have a spindle moulder and not the router table..

The guys workshop video is in two parts, the link to the second part I have put in my previous post. The first part explains his dust extraction system. I think he is in the medical profession and has seen too many woodworkers with respiratory issues.
Consequently he is keen to reduce the dust as much as possible..... Something which I don't seem to be able to manage.
Howie

i think if you have little space, your best option is to build a couple of sawhorses the right height to take a sheet of mdf to just under the table level and just use it when you need it and when you dont, then just put it away. I am lucky enough to have room for a static one as this is my profession, but it doesnt isolate its use to outfeed, it is also a useful table for drying, assembly, drawing etc. Hopefully i will incorporate some dust extraction collection boxes into the underside of the table so the dead space is productive.

So i reckon sawhorses but if you want to get involved in some gadgetry which i know we all need sometimes, then yes a foldaway will be great. I think thewoodwhisperer.com may lead you in the right direction, i seem to recall a video documenting this.

All the best

Phil

I use a couple of roller stands which telescope down when not in use and you can hang them up out of the way. Works fine if adjusted correctly.

Failure to have the correct amount of outfeed support is a fairly dangerous thing to do...I wouldn't dream of not having any.

Jim

Another vote for the roller stands; essential if you are working alone with anything longer than a metre or so. Mine are Ryobi ones that were sold off by B&Poo for a tenner the pair. Not pretty, not well made, but they do the job.
Mind you, having the extra table area would be wonderful if it was feasible :)

dickm":w7e1jy2e said:
Another vote for the roller stands; essential if you are working alone with anything longer than a metre or so. Mine are Ryobi ones that were sold off by B&Poo for a tenner the pair. Not pretty, not well made, but they do the job.

I don't fancy having a piece of material flexing and going under the height of the roller. This will either push the thing over or even worse get wedged some how. I'd say roller stands were more useful for the in feed side of things.

I have got space so don't get me wrong but not enough space to warrant a static add on to the table saw...

templecarpentry":w7e1jy2e said:
i think if you have little space, your best option is to build a couple of sawhorses the right height to take a sheet of mdf to just under the table level and just use it when you need it and when you dont, then just put it away. I am lucky enough to have room for a static one as this is my profession, but it doesnt isolate its use to outfeed, it is also a useful table for drying, assembly, drawing etc. Hopefully i will incorporate some dust extraction collection boxes into the underside of the table so the dead space is productive.

So i reckon sawhorses but if you want to get involved in some gadgetry which i know we all need sometimes, then yes a foldaway will be great. I think thewoodwhisperer.com may lead you in the right direction, i seem to recall a video documenting this.

All the best

Phil
It's my profession as well and at the moment it is a start out smallish workshop I think the workshop is 9m x 5.5m...

Stormer1940":3sdzs8ma said:
dickm":3sdzs8ma said:

I don't fancy having a piece of material flexing and going under the height of the roller. This will either push the thing over or even worse get wedged some how. I'd say roller stands were more useful for the in feed side of things.

I have got space so don't get me wrong but not enough space to warrant a static add on to the table saw...

templecarpentry":3sdzs8ma said:

All the best

Phil
It's my profession as well and at the moment it is a start out smallish workshop I think the workshop is 9m x 5.5m...

The way I do it is to run the piece through without cutting and look at where it flexes and put the stand a few inches short of this point followed by another one just before the end of the cut is reached. This works fine and has never fallen over.

The best bit is they pack up and go into the corner out of the way.

But each to their own.

Jim

Whilst rollers are (slightly) better than nothing, they are far from being a good solution. As suggested, infeed OK.

If you MUST use them as outfeed support, fit a piece of MDF over the top, slightly off-centre so that it tilts towards the saw. As the workpiece approaches it, the board catches it and is pushed level. There is no chance of the workpiece getting caught underneath the roller.

But an outfeed table is a much better option, and, as I say, it's easy to make a lightweight one that moves with the saw and folds away when not in use. Can be used with a saw with a ST as well. Ideal for small workshops. I've used mine for years and never found it wanting.

Look at any of my Youtube vids that show the saw and you will see it in action.

S

Steve Maskery":6i3coiqt said:
Whilst rollers are (slightly) better than nothing, they are far from being a good solution. As suggested, infeed OK.

If you MUST use them as outfeed support, fit a piece of MDF over the top, slightly off-centre so that it tilts towards the saw. As the workpiece approaches it, the board catches it and is pushed level. There is no chance of the workpiece getting caught underneath the roller.

But an outfeed table is a much better option, and, as I say, it's easy to make a lightweight one that moves with the saw and folds away when not in use. Can be used with a saw with a ST as well. Ideal for small workshops. I've used mine for years and never found it wanting.

Look at any of my Youtube vids that show the saw and you will see it in action.

S
Cheers Steve will take a look

I have had problems with larger pieces of timber pushing the roller stand over but on one of Steve Maskerly's videos he has made a plywood top that tilts forward as a lead in and pivots when the wood stock touches it. A simple but brilliant idea and maybe Steve can elaborate.. Geoff

Erm, I thought I had! Obviously not clearly enough! :)
But thanks for the rec. It is, as you say, Brilliant. Unfortunately I can't take the credit, I'm pretty sure I saw it years ago in a FWW Readers' Tip. Or somesuch, anyway. Sadly not one of my (otherwise always brilliant) ideas.
:)
S

Back