Table saw maintenance?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a new Naerok table saw cast iron / induction motor. What maintenance should I do on it now and going forward.

I was thinking spraying grease onto the pivot points. Anything better?

Beeswax on the cast iron?

The side tables have some rust marks so ordered some enamel paint.
IMG-20220321-WA0002.jpeg

I use wax furniture polish on my cast iron saw table and planer. Not a lot, then buff with a soft cloth. Makes the surface nice and slippery. I'm a great fan of greasing things that are supposed to be greased, as long as it isn't too exposed to contamination. A lot of people here like dry PTFE spray. I must get some! Do you have a users manual, it might tell you what needs to be done. I have only ever painted one of my machine. I found a couple of tins of paint when I had my saw in bits, so gave it a quick spray. I regularly blast my machines with compressed air to get dust out of the motor and other places.

Rusty bits respond well to a rub with flour paper or 400 grit and a spot of thin oil or white spirit. Wipe the surface clean and then a wipe of beeswax polish and buff. If it has a grease nipple then grease it. Big coarse threads I keep clean and a very occasional spray of ptfe.
Grease or oil on exposed bits just attracts sawdust, get gummed up and if anything abrasive gets stuck you end up with a grinding paste that will wear things.

Colin

Metal guard every six months, Liberian machine wax when it stops being slippery and white grease or dry silicone spray on anything that moves. Clean it out internally regularly. If it’s stiff to turn or move, clean it. No oil or grease on anything makes a saw a happy saw.

Rusty bits respond well to a rub with flour paper or 400 grit and a spot of thin oil or white spirit. Wipe the surface clean and then a wipe of beeswax polish and buff. If it has a grease nipple then grease it. Big coarse threads I keep clean and a very occasional spray of ptfe.
Grease or oil on exposed bits just attracts sawdust, get gummed up and if anything abrasive gets stuck you end up with a grinding paste that will wear things.

Colin
I agree! Grease on the outside of a pivot, joint, or bearing is useless: it makes me angry when I see that a mechanic has sprayed white, easily-seen grease on car door and bonnet hinges to fool the customer into thinking that every item on the service sheet has been done correctly, when the hinge is bone dry inside.

Latest posts

Back