Table Saw Harvey HW110LGE-30 Imported and Reviewed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Referring to the original review, I'm intrigued that the fence is not plastic faced, 'due to EU regs' yet they are allowed to supply it with a dado capability? I wonder if the plastic parts are available separately?

Nothing wrong with supplying it with a Dado capability?

Can you point me to the EU regs that prohibit a plastic fence face?

Mike

I am looking to get the HW110LGE-30 saw from Roy at Woodford. (I have never had a proper table saw before and the dado head sold it to me). I have an issue because to get to my shed I have a narrow gap that is just 26 inches wide. Once unpacked will it fit through that gap. I know the extension pieces fit separately. It also has a reported 24" * 24" footplate, but I am not clear if that is just the main carcass and if there are bits that stick out to make it wider (the large door?) It sounds as if the main top comes off which could help. Can anyone let me know what the narrowest gap I could get the saw through and how much dismantling I might need to do to fit through 26".

Thanks

Woodford Tooling have ben brilliant over this. Roy kept the cost at what was on the site when I first enquired despite currency change. He and his team kept me informed and we're really helpful - quality friendly service. Be warned though that I am not sure Roy keeps these in stock so I did have to wait three months for it to be shipped from China, so you need to be patient.

For anyone who has a shed at the back of a terrace house with access only through the house here is the first part of my experience.

The saw, plus dado, wheel base and tenoning jig arrived on a palette lorry. The chap delivering it seemed a bit surprised that he was delivering it to a residential street of terraced houses and when we got the palette to the house he was obviously confused how such a large item would fit first through the gate and then the front door.

I unpacked everything and all was in solid cardboard and bubble wrap. Once all the bits are off the palette and you unbolt the saw (I knew about this from my research) I removed the cast top. This weighs close to 1 cwt (and the total saw is 5cwt). This is held on by four Allan Key bolts and is easy to undo. Once it was off I also took off the rod attached to a handle (these attach by spanner). Oddly one handle had the rod fixed the other was left for me to put on. The saw was then around 24" wide and about 30" long. I had a small trolley (24" x 24") with four heavy duty castors (from Amazon) made from 3 pieces of 18mm MDF screwed together, some 2 feet wide hardboard and two 8"x3"x48" lumps of wood.

The saw slid from the palette onto the dolly easily and and through the gate and front door - there is a small step but I could get over that relatively easily. Along the hall on the hardboard to make it move smoothly and down two steps using the boards/hardboard. Right turn down a step through utility room and into the garden. The shed is up two steps and this was bit more of a struggle but in fine.

I fitted the wheel base together and put the base onto it and then put the rest together. The wheel base has options for the two moveable castor wheels and I got these wrong, so I need to change them as I want the saw to rotate around an axis not move back and forward. I have hardboard on the shed concrete floor to help the saw move, although I think I will be able to do without this because the castor set works well, and has a nifty lifting mechanism when you want to move the saw.

The first issue I had was although rated at 12.8 Amps it blows a 13A plug. I have a spur of the house ring main so I am having additional supply fitted to a fuse box with a 16A fuze. I suspect this should be sufficient as it is the load on start that is probably the issue.

The saw self is solid. The extension on mine is made of some composite material (bit like a step up platform base), so is quite light but appears v strong. I want to fit a router to the table and am considering cutting out a hole for the router in this part.

Once the electric is sorted I will post again if its helpful.

Out of interest when did you first enquire?

I ask because I HAVEN'T had the price honoured from when I first enquired at the first of december.

I did a lot of research into this saw and read the forum posts and I have to say that I haven't found the company easy to deal with or communicative like most people here say they are. It took nearly a month to get a response from anyone (admittedly over the christmas period) and have only had updates when I chased and sometimes only then on the second time of chasing. Apparently I'm now waiting on the february delivery which has been moved to mid to late march but frankly I'll believe it when I see it.

Such a shame as everyone here said such great things. I hope I'm the exception.

I first enquired in October. Sent the deposit at the start of November. I paid the original price although he did mention exchange rates when I first emailed him. I only just got the saw so I think it's taking a while to get them shipped at the moment. It arrived a long time after the most pessimistic date I was told.

I found them reasonably communicative - always took a few days to respond but they always got back to me.

The only issue I had was that they didn't tell me it was going to be delivered. That was a surprise!

Anyway I ran a new 16amp circuit to my saw, put in a type c breaker and it's running like a charm. It really does seem like a beautifully engineered machine. I want to make a few improvements to the dust collection but it's not bad out of the box. There are some bits that could be better sealed though which I think will help. The supplied blade screams a bit so I need to upgrade that to a Freud. Personally I don't think a huge amount of the mitre gauge although admittedly it's great for a supplied one. I don't think in compares to a crosscut sled though. I love the fence - it just glides down the rail with a light touch and locks with no effort at all.

Overall I'd say it's worth the wait and even at the new price I don't think there is a better option at that price.

Hi all.
I am hoping someone who has purchased one of these saws can help me out.
I have ordered one myself and is due on the next delivery.
My workshop floor is not perfectly level and am planning to make a low platform for the saw to sit on.
I would be very grateful for a few measurements if possible.
It would really help to know the following measurements.

Distance from blade to far right. (Furthest point)
Distance from blade to far left. (Furthest point)
Distance from front of table to start of saw blade.
Height of saw table from floor. Does it have any levelling feet???
This will allow me to make and secure the base and have it ready for delivery rather than having to make this once delivery is taken and measurements taken.

Very grateful for the measurements if anyone can assist.
Thank you. I'm not excited obviously :D

For anyone waiting for their saw, I've just chased Woodford again and my 'February' batch saw still has an unknown delivery time frame before arriving in the U.K. plus maybe 2 weeks after.

Received my saw on Friday and have to say as this rarely happens, it exceeded my high expectations. Super machine well worth the extra cost. Woodford has been great 5star in my opinion.
Not sure if anyone who also has this saw can help me out but the electrical 16amp plug has a blue live and brown neutral?????
Great saw very impressed

Convention is Blue is always neutral, Brown/Red/Black/Grey can be phase, Green Yellow is always Ground, Orange or Violet can be switched live. As a 16amp plug is unfused how have you come to the conclusion that blue is live in your machine.

Mike

mjdesignsuk":2s6hcj6w said:
Received my saw on Friday and have to say as this rarely happens, it exceeded my high expectations. Super machine well worth the extra cost. Woodford has been great 5star in my opinion.
Not sure if anyone who also has this saw can help me out but the electrical 16amp plug has a blue live and brown neutral?????
Great saw very impressed

Mine arrived this morning. I've spent the day assembling and setting it up.

I also had an excellent experience with Woodford but my dado stack will not be here for a couple of weeks as, according to Woodford, these were shipped in a separate container. It's not a problem as it gives me time to familiarise myself with the saw before experimenting with dados.

Next project is to make a folding out-feed table.

Hi my saw came wired with a plug on that mounts to the cabinet of the saw. It has the blue cable going to the live connection in this plug and brown cable going to neutral connection. Awaiting information. Just wondering if anyone else has this

mjdesignsuk":d9xzq1op said:
Hi my saw came wired with a plug on that mounts to the cabinet of the saw. It has the blue cable going to the live connection in this plug and brown cable going to neutral connection. Awaiting information. Just wondering if anyone else has this

I had a dedicated 16 amp ('commando' socket) supply installed in my workshop specifically for this saw. I then purchased a compatible extension lead from Toolstation and simply plugged it in. Are you saying that your saw does not have the commando socket?

I'll put up some photos in a bit...

Hi, yes mine came with a commando socket with male pins. When I mounted the case of the commando socket to the cabinet of the saw I noticed the blue cable which we all know is neutral was terminated in the live terminal of the commando socket.
Is yours?
Kind regards Mike

mjdesignsuk":3gstq4qq said:
Hi, yes mine came with a commando socket with male pins. When I mounted the case of the commando socket to the cabinet of the saw I noticed the blue cable which we all know is neutral was terminated in the live terminal of the commando socket.
Is yours?
Kind regards Mike

Ah, I see. Mine already had the socket installed to the cabinet. Here is a photo I just took of the socket with the cover removed, as you can see the blue is connected to the L/+ terminal. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jerry

DSC_4175.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4175.jpg
    DSC_4175.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,375
Awwww interesting. Thank you vey much for this information. I am tempted to leave it as is, I think they have been using blue as the live wire. I assume you have started your machine and all is well as of yet I have still not started my machine for this reason. I contacted Woodford and as always where very helpful, they contacted the manufacture who replied to say that live to neutral connection wouldn't cause an issue so in other words we are ok either way. Thank you for your time any additional info I will post. BIG thanks

The problem will be with UK plugs, if you are using a three pin British plug the (phase) brown is fused, if this is connected to the neutral you have the potential for the machine to still be live if the fuse blows, unless you are using a dedicated 16amp supply installed by a competent electrician from your consumer unit protected by an RCD, can get very confusing, it would be best to follow convention and change those poles around as long as you have faith in what has been indicated by the manufacturer.

Mike

Hi mike
They are 16amp plugs no fuse so rely on mcbs as fuse. I think that the live on the circuit has been done with blue as an error due to Chinese manufacturing. They have confirmed that incorrect live/neutral has no effect on machine. Thank you

Back