Table saw guarding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to make a new riving knife for my table saw (Kity 419) to allow use of thin kerf blades. Rather than making a straight like for like replacement, I would like to take the opportunity to change a few things. I would like to remove the guard that attaches to the riving knife, as it gets in the way of some operations, and makes the knife larger than it needs to be. Obviously I appreciate the fact that the saw needs to be guarded.

I have seen some overhead guards that look pretty useful.

Does anybody have any plans for overhead saw guards, or any pictures that they could post. Am I correct in assuming that the guard is designed to prevent accidental contact with the blade during use, so that if you were to fall on the saw, hand outstretched, you would strike the guard which then covers the blade.

I have my saw on a moveable base, to the guard would ideally need to be fixed to the saw somehow, or would been also to be moveable. Would something that was self supporting be suitable, or would this not work. I was wondering about a tubular structure consisting of an adjustable upright and adjustable boom. However, in the falling situation above, i fear that the whole guard would move, and potentially contact the blade.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Mark

Hi Mark
The scenario you describe is very common. I have a very good solution, but I do sell it, it's not free. It moves with the saw, as you describe. However, you can see an earlier version of it, for free, by watching, for example, an online video such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIBKp9_hWLo
The version I have now moves better and provides even better guarding as a result.

If you want to ask me any questions, my phone number is on my website. Just follow the link in my footer.
Regards
Steve

Hi Mark,

I can vouch for Steve's blade guard. It is exactly what you need and well worth the little bit you'll spend for his DVD. Besides there's a lot of other good content on the DVDs. Do yourself a favor and buy Workshop Essentials 7 & 8. I think you'll thank Steve for making them. While you're working on guarding your blade, also have a look at his magnetic guard. There will be times when the overarm guard isn't the thing you need but you'll still need to protect yourself from all those spinning teeth. The magnetic guard will be the ticket.

Hi Mark,
I have a Charnwood W650 TS, very similar to the Kity 419 and am in process of building the TS guard as detailed in Steve's DVD.
For me, the existing crown guard is better than nothing but the added protection of Steve's SUV style guard is well worthwhile.
I highly recommend the Workshop Essentials DVDs, they have good, common sense tips and ideas given in a clear manner.
John

Back