table saw gaurds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Established Member
Reaction score
morning guys.. I have been thinking about saw gaurds latley, espicially on my table and radial saw. My radial (a freebe dewalt 1251) has no gaurd at all and when using my scheppach ts2500 TS (which i have to say is a fine piece of kit) I often have to remove the crown gaurd to maximise cutting depth etc

what can i do in the way of gaurds on these machines. I have looked in a few books but most of the american stuff i have read doesnt have a gaurd in site. Is this the reality of it or can somting be done to keep my fingers where i like them?

rog

Chris,

The Penn State overhead guard is actually now available from Axminster and in an amazing economic magical trick is cheaper than the US version - £98 as opposed to $199 + Shipping. Although I suspect it's manufactured in Taiwan/PRC.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Rog,

Welcome to the forums :)

I recommend that you should always use the guard, especially on a table saw. Either the supplied guard and riving knife or a wall mounted one like waterhead suggested. I don't understand why so many americans don't, maybe they are all norm fans :?

Before you use a table saw without a guard again just have a quick search here http://www.woodworking2.org/AccidentSurvey/search.htm but be carful it could put you of power tools and machines for life :twisted: :wink:

Hi Rog,

Rog":3cag4xd4 said:
when using my scheppach ts2500 TS (which i have to say is a fine piece of kit) I often have to remove the crown gaurd to maximise cutting depth etc

If it's anything like my TS2000, you may want to adjust the riving knife so it sits above the blade. Then you can still have the guard attached for max depth cuts. They ship the saws with the riving knives a few mm below the top of the blade - I guess so the blade and riving knife can sit below the surface of the table for transport. And also handy if you want to do grooving etc I guess. Anyway very easy to adjust the riving knife - shows you in the manual - at least on mine.

Cheers

Gidon

Rog, Scheppach make a SUVA extraction guard for the TS2500, I don't see it advertised any more but I spoke to the men at MNA recently and they still sell them. I think it's about £200, but it's a really nice piece of kit.

Back