table saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stuart

Certainly looks strong and sturdy - and a little expensive :shock:

Just out of interest, what table saw do yoyu have at the minute?

Somwhere on here there is a post detailing a fence I made a while back that is a little bit like the one you are considering. It only cost a few pounds for the steel and about a took around a day's effort. Might solve your problem and help the wallet :wink:

stuart i had a clark t/s the fence was **** so i made a sandwich of three pieces of wood with the fence in the middle this made the fence ridged and very sturdy save you money for a saw with a good fence .you can get a woodford for a few pounds more than the cost of that fence .

Hi - thanks for the replies.
Tony:
I agree it is a fair bit of money! The table saw I have is something rather basic from B and Q but with a decent blade on it the cut is ok. As there are lots of other demands on my time I would like to have the set up time for making a cut much shorter than it is at the moment.
I'd love to save money on making my own fence so I would like to look at the fence you built - but my metal working skills are very basic.

Frank:
you can get a woodford for a few pounds more than the cost of that fence .
Displaying my ignorance, what's a woodford? also, what wood did you use to strengthen your fence - my garage has rather wild fluctuations in humidity so i guess i'd need something pretty stable

Stuart

Frank is referring to Woodford Woodworking Machinery, their web site is broken at the moment so you can't look at the saws. They sell some very nice bits of kit, from contractors saws to to unisaw clones. :D

Philly has one of their unisaw clones:
saw.jpg

I am sure he wont mind me posting his picture. :roll:

Frank, since the Woodford site is down, how about a review of your Xcalibur? Presume you have it up and running?

Noel

Hi Tony
Thanks for the link - it looks manageable for me so i might well give it a go.
following another chain of thought, do you thing something like a trend clamp would be ok to use, or is it not safe as it doesnt' hve high sides?
thanks again

Stawart, The trend clamp has a T track so it should be fairly simple to affix an upright to give you a high enough fence. Getting the fence parallel might be a problem though

Hi Stewart
Not really sure about the Trend clamp. I use one for routing but would be a little unsure about using it on the table saw which is generally accepted as more dangerous. The problem, as I see it, is that when cutting any stock that is not very wide but more than an inch or two tall, the you have little support

May I suggest something I did before making my own fence? I used a clamp at the far end of the fence and glued 2 pieces of flexible ruler (Mrs T still doesn't know where her tape measure is from the sowing kit :D ) to the front and rear of the table. Simple align the fnece to these two rules and then clamp the back. Worked for me :wink:

thanks jaymar and tony
i guess the trend clamp solution isn't the best of ideas. i'll try to stiffen the fence i've got at the moment and use a clamp at the back too while i save up for a better table saw. what do people think about the sip cast iron one at about £500?

saw one in the flesh the other day and it looks pretty good excpet the sliding table on the one I saw which flexes like a very flexible thing!!

Might have been the way this one was assembled as it was in a showroom and thus put together by monkeys :D

You could make a Biesmeyer fence-a-like like Ian Dalziel did for his workcentre (GWW #153, 154). Same principle as the one you originally linked to. I had occasion to, er, kick the tyres on it, so to speak, at Tools 04 and was well impressed at how sturdy the fence was. The fence was covered in the second part, IIRC.

Dave, what on earth are you thinking?! He doesn't need assistance, for Norm's sake! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Stuart, the wood I used was the stuff they make mfi things with. It's two pieces of 28"x5"and one 28"x ? Think of an H shape.Your fence is the bit in the middle at the bottom. Fix the two pieces to the outside and the middle pieces in the middle :lol. This will give you a better fence and it won't rock when you cut your wood. Now that wont cost you a penny. :wink: :wink: :wink:

hi alf
i read the first part of ian dalziel's article but missed the next copy of the magazine with the fence in! guess i'll have to see if they do back issues.
thanks

stewart

De-lurk and ...

This thread appeared just in time! I've just bought a used tablesaw (Startrite TA275) which came without a rip fence :shock: (it was going cheap ...). Challenge now is to either make or buy a rip fence without paying Startrite prices (£375 + vat for a replacement original! :cry: ).

Tony, thanks for the build info. Very useful!

Does anyone know of other options for buying a rip fence? Know of anyone in the UK who imports Biesemeyer fences for instance? From reading this site, I'd rather not go to Rutlands ... :roll:

Cheers,
Mike.

Hello Mike.

I have to say Rutlands have picked up significantly since apparently installing a new computer system. I made an order of which only 1 item was out of stock, I got a letter next day to tell me, an estimate of the delay, and no charge on my credit card. The item arrived a day or two before the estimate.

Have a look around Rob Lees site at Lee Valley tools - www.leevalley.com I find them significantly better than any UK retailer - on or off the internet.

Adam

Back