Table Saw Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornet99

Established Member
Reaction score
The fence that came with the cheap table saw looks and feels cheap. Can I buy a more substantial and accurate one?

Without knowing what saw you have its hard to say. Just so many fence arrangements. There are some aftermarket fences out there but they are usually to fit cast iron tables and rely on being able to mount a front rail to the saw for the fence to run on. They would likely cost more than some cheap saws too. Depending on the saw you have I would google to find DIY fence inprovements for that saw.
Regards
John

I have a Lidl special...... I know I know but for making bee kit its ok but now i'm getting into woodworking the fence needs an upgrade

I have been known to use a sash clamp as a fence on my cheap table saw when needed. I infilled it with a strip of mdf cut to size to make it beefier, and use a jig I made to ensure it is straight before clamping it in position.
I also made a U shaped (flat bottomed) piece to go over the clamp for when I need it higher.

Any pics EWB?

1633165048513.png

1633165010441.png

1633165027924.png

You can see the MDF strip within the sash clamp in the first two pictures.

The wooden top piece also (I remember now!) extends the straight edge beyond the clamp handle protrusion.

I don't have a picture of my squaring jig to hand, and am not back to my workshop until Tuesday (big dental appointment on Monday!) but if you want to see that, I can take a photo then?

Sorry for delay. Had to batch out 60 chopping boards!
It’s not my idea, and really simple.
E07F69BD-4404-46D2-AD99-E532CA8D9D06.jpeg

It’s basically a parallelogram, you must make sure the opposite sides are identical in length.
I luckily had two adjustable feet that fit the guide slot perfectly

631F6B55-9CB1-4B73-9CC9-4CFFB9FE2B00.jpeg

so just tighten everything thing down once I’ve measured it to the size I want, then position the fence to it.
Hope this helps someone.

Back