table saw fence question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, just as an aside, what's your aversion to a quick pass with a plane or very light abrasive before gluing? Unless just rough work I wouldn't dream of gluing straight from the saw. Are you aiming for a perfect cut that perhaps isn't possible? Just asking not saying Bob! :lol:

I was one of those who recommended Freud blades on you original thread but like the others certainly not 60t for ripping. I have a 24t for that and 40t for cross cut though most of the latter is on my mitre saw. I read through the thread again and didn't see any recommendations for 60t for ripping so maybe a case of misinterpretation?
In any even you have to realise that most of us can only offer opinion based purely on our own experience, sometimes limited to just a few manufacturers and therefore very subjective advice.

Lons....
Mainly I'm very lazy :roll: , If I can get a perfect cut on the saw, think how much time and effort i save on the planing and blade changing.
But I am also not good with planes, as I suffer from insufficient hand dexterity nowadays which is why I try to get everything done by power.
I bought a 60 tooth originally, even though it was not recommended in the original thread, because at that time I was using the mitre saw and therefore mostly cross cutting. When I bought the table saw, my inexperience made me put my best blade on it without realising it was not the "done thing".

But this thread went somewhat sideways;
Check the first post carefully and there was no complaint whatsoever about the cut.
I just wanted to know how to align the fence (title of thread), and suddenly it turned into "how the hell do you expect that completely wrong blade to make a cut that will still need work anyway, and by the way youve done everything else wrong as well".

I still have that freud blade in there.
Its still cutting well.
I have readjusted the fence and cut a lot of small strips of beech very successfully.
The fence, riving knife and crown guard all work well with the larger blade.

Being completely on my own as far as woodworking is concerned, I tend to be untraditional, and if it works, and I still keep all my fingers, thats a result. 8)
Thanks for your concern. =D> =D> =D>

All of that makes sense Bob :)

Just to go back to the sub fence, I know you said you don't have a T channel to fit one the way I did but it might be worth doing a test by clamping a temporary sub fence and making a few test cuts.
A length of metal, Corian rigid plastic or even wood / MDF / ply, as long as flat and rigid isn't too difficult and at least will show whether it works for you or not. Won't cost you anything in Cypriot euros and very little time.

Keiths' 2 push stick method is very definitely worth adopting if you haven't already done so both for accuracy and keeping those fingers intact.

Best wishes
Bob

Call me slow, but I've just realised we're 2 Bob between us :shock: (hammer) :D

a sub fence is now on my list of things i really, really should do, as soon as I get a spare week or two. :D

But I'm winding down now to get ready for my flight to heathrow. I really hate flying now, done enough and my old bones arent happy being squeezed into cattle trucks, so I see a lot of pain killers in my immediate future :cry:
I will start my todo list again in May.

It's the price you pay for living in the sun you lucky Robert :lol: . At least it's only about 4 hours. Worst we had was a long haul trip to Christchurch with no stopovers, just change planes in Singapore and Sydney with no time to spare. Never did that again, always a couple of nights break in between on the long haul flights.

Got sick of the hassle of airports so bought a motor home last September, half an hour load up and off we go, decided last weekend to have a short trip to Knaresborough / Harrogate so jump in Tuesday, couple of hours down the road, back Friday afternoon :D

It's the price you pay for living in the sun you lucky Robert

Not this year mate. we've had the wettest and COLDEST winter in 120 years :shock:
Last year I was in shorts and T shirt in mid feb. This year. last days of march, and I've got UK winter clothing on and cant work in the garage cos its TOO DAMM COLD!

Raining and 12c as i write this, indoors with the central heating on. I've had to bring all the gubbins to varnish my new box indoors to warm up overnight so I can apply tomorrow. My daughter in somerset is having an outdoor BBQ tomorrow, the worlds gone mad! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) .

Yeah some weird weather around, my brother is due here in the North East in 10 days time and he's going to freeze although it's only mid 20s down under at the minute. :)

Back