Table saw extension tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
To set the scene:

I am just setting up my workshop in a single garage. I intend to make a number of different things, from jewellery boxes to (hopefully) a bit of furniture. This is just my hobby, but as you can see, space is at a premium!

I have a Kity 419, bought secondhand and have spent the afternoon setting the sliding carriage, movable base and extension tables up, with the help of a copy of the manual from Dibsh and an exploded diagram for NMA. By luck, The extension tables are flat with the table, but they are fitted by slotting a nut into a closed channel in a piece of extruded aluminium. I cannot tighten the bolts that hold them down, because the inner nut spins. (I have had to get some m6 nuts and machine screws because they were missing). Is it important that they are tightened- they dont appear to be able to go anywhere, and the rails that support the extension tables are tightened and secured.

Anyhow, having made everything parallel, level etc, I am questioning whether to bother with the extension tables. Other than for handling sheet materials, I am struggling to see their usefulness- have I missed something.

Do most people with limited space leave them assembled (so value their usefulness over the space that they take up), assemble them when required, or simply not bother at all? I would have thought something that extends the length of the table would be more useful, to support timber when ripping, rather than using roller stands.

Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

I am questioning whether to bother with the extension tables. Other than for handling sheet materials, I am struggling to see their usefulness- have I missed something.

As I never use sheet materials I find I have no use for extension tables. I took mine off and released a lot of valuable room in my small workshop. I have a router table behind the saw table the same height and joined to it. This acts well to feed off onto when ripping.

I don't have a sliding table on my saw but have both side extensions on it. I built an assembly table that sits in front of the saw and also acts as a feed out table. HTH. :wink:

Make the table extend just over 4' past the blade. In that way you can cut a an 8' sheet without it tipping.

If you make the extension table so it hinges down, you only need to lift it up when cutting large pieces.

Bob

Back