Table Saw Dilemma...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a broken Lutz Eurocut table saw for £10 about 6 months ago and spent £86 getting the motor fixed. However, I had to bypass the busted start/stop swith too (attaching a plug to the end which I just plug in to start and stop the beast).

Now... My wife (that's the one who usually groans when I mention buying more tools) was muttering something about why would I want to spend more money on "that" saw? I'd mentioned buying a horizontal fence and new switch (which would come to just over £100).

So... It seems I have free reign to sell this one and buy a new one. I'd probably be limited to what I could get for the old one plus the notional £100 that it would have cost me to fully equip the current (altho I may be able to stretch it).

I don't really know a great deal about saws. Also, my "workshop" is the garage (shared with storing bikes etc - so limited space), Therefore, I was wondering:

1. Keep the existing saw?
2. Sell it and buy a new one?

If "2":
1. Table, band, or radial arm?
2. Make/model suggestions?
3. Do I need to spend more than my budget?

Cheers :lol:

Matt

Don't want to be awkward, but the question of TS vs bandsaw has come up a fair number of times recently so a search could reveal some useful info.

You need to replace either the switch or the saw. I don't what the legal implications are but I expect that by trying to sell the saw with a broken switch could well be illegal.

Obviously as a domestic user you can do pretty much what you like but you really are playing with fire here. There will come a time when you will need to switch it off immediately - unplugging to do so is not an option - get rid of it or fix it but please stop using it right now until you do one or t'other.

Cheers

Tim

OK, I've been rummaging and turned up some info...

So far I've concluded that I should stick with a table saw. However, I can't work out whether it would be a good idea to replace my Lutz site saw with a bench model?

I read somewhere (but cannot now find it) that site saws were the next best thing to static table saws and that bench versions, whilst good, were 3rd choice.

The Lutz has a 315mm blade and a 2kw motor, with a cutting depth of 0-78mm.

Obviously I lot depends on makes/models etc; however, I was wondering whether the "static then site then bench" rule was fundamently sound?

Cheers

Back