Table saw decision time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
With Yandles on Friday it's time to make that final decision, - I've been putting it off for ages.

I've spent more time looking at saws than I've ever spent looking for any tool but then again this one has to last me for ever (she says!!).

I think its going to be the elektra beckum PK200 package (should get a good deal at the show). I'd really want one of the big cast iron jobs but space just isn't available. Most of my cutting is smaller stuff and the need for accuracy is quite high, - apparently the 200 is very good at this.

Anyone got any experience with the 200? Don't seem to see it cropping up very often on the forums.

I have a PK200 with sliding carriage, extension table and stand, great saw never had a problem with it.
Except now i think want a dado so have decided to get an xcalibur, Would you be interested in acquiring mine?
I know this decision will cause me a lot of grief as my workshop is a single car garage and the xcalibur will have to be on wheels so as to move out of the way when the car is put back in :( whereas the PK is just stowed on the bench.

Tom

Thanks for the offer Tombo but your a fair way off from me plus its Yandles tomorrow and I'm all geared up to spend!!!

Nothing quite like the purchase of a new table saw to get the juices flowing :D :D

I'm all geared up to spend!!!
I know exactly what you mean good luck with the quest

I'm in a state of withdrawal at the mo, haven't bought anything sharp in ages, i'm getting a bit edgy 8-[

It may be a simple looking saw but reserve a couple of hours to put together, also keep all the boxes till its setup. I had a damaged rail but had already cut the boxes up Doh!! Axminster were very helpful and sorted it out anyway.
I would definitely recommend adding crosscut blade to your shopping list, i wish i had got one earlier, what a difference.

Tom

John,

Nope i just want it for the dado, though in addition the xcalibur gives me a cast iron top, a Biesemeyer clone fence and miter slots either side of the blade.
That means i can get some extra goodies like a tenoning jig or a super accurate miter gauge.
As i said though the main reason is the dado if it was not for that i would stick with what i have.

Tom

Tom, your reasoning makes perfect sense. Go get one.

Noel

tom you do know that woodford sell a dado in a very nice case for about £75 and you might just get it a bit cheaper if you get it at the same time as your nice new saw :wink: :wink:

The plot thickens ......

Went to get a PK200 came back with a TS2010!!! :oops:

Thought I'd really made up my mind but hadn't had a chance to play properly with the 2010 so had a good fiddle and changed my mind, - price was good too :D :D

However, - had to take saw back due to damage and problems (luckily live close to Yandles). Mitre fence broken (packing is absolutely rubbish to put it mildly), no power cable and blade tilt jammed. Not happy bunny to put it mildly. Instructions also appear to be written by an illiterate chimp :evil:

Got an exchange and am currently in the process of putting it together now. Have a real problem lining up the side extension with the main table. It's only about 1 mm or so out but causing the rip fence to jam. I reckon over 2 hours just to put this on is a bit sad (and still more to go as I haven't sorted it yet). Me thinks a note to scheppach likely to follow farly soon.

Now cussing and going like a good 'un and wondering how good the PK200 is!!!

I also must admit that i want an dado because the nany state and guttless tool manufacturers are conspiring to deny my use of such a tool and makes me want it all the more.

Tom

Tombo
Without opening the can of worms, I use mine a lot-it is a very useful, quiet and powerful tool.
It its right-use it! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :norm:
Running for the hills...........

stuartpaul,

bummer about your saw, sounds like your going through the same type of setup issues I did :( stick with it though you have a great machine.

Tom

Spent another hour last night and a further 2 today trying to line up the extension table, - still no joy. Really p*ssed off. Haven't even attempted to fit the sliding table arrangement and have no confidence it will fit as it should.

To my mind spending that sort of money the thing should at least fit together properly. If I'd brought cheap I'd sort of expect it but not at £650.

Will be speaking to Yandles tomorrow to see what they have to say but at the moment I'm inclined to ask for money back and go with my original decision to buy the PK200.

my PK is still available :whistle:

do yandles have one of these saws set up for you to have a look at? Might be somthing simple like a missing spacer or bracket that you dont know is needed.

Tom

Stuartpaul you could give NMA a call, they are usually really helpful. Their no. is 01484 400 488.

I agree the instructions are rubbish you would think it would be in their best interests to produce decent ones.

Keith

tombo":1xj0ekdo said:
I also must admit that i want an dado because the nany state and guttless tool manufacturers are conspiring to deny my use of such a tool and makes me want it all the more.

Tom

You really won't regret, getting a saw that takes a dado.... :wink:

I use mine alot.......

hi stuart
i too have ended up purchasing the 2010 at a show (ally pally). It is my first saw but i found it a bit of a pig and needed an extra pair of hands. My problem was getting the sliding carriage set up, i dont know maybe my expectations of instruction were high but they seemed to be rubbish. I also got the side extension but i didnt get the brackets needed to fit it too the table. Quick call to NMA and recieved them the next day. Managed to get that on easily compared to the sliding extension. What are you having problems with? I dont know about you but i didnt recieve instructions with the side extension. it took a bit of guess work. It is a bit of a two person job, one holds one secures and all that.

I looked at all the table saws on show at Yandle's and the only one that seemed to have been set up properly was the Kity 419 - the sliding of the sliding table was as smooth as a smooth thing in smooth land and the rip fence went square whatever angle I tried to set it at. On all the others there (Record, SIP, EB, Scheppach 2010 and 2500) the fences seemed easy to set out-of-square and the sliding tables, well, didn't properly. The only thing it lacked was the fine adjustment. To me the 2010 felt really cheap and I'd go for the Kity every time - a model I hadn't even considered before the show. You'd think they'd try to set machines up so they work at their best in a show...:roll:

Pete

PS At Axminster the next day I had a(nother) fondle of the Festool (TS55) and I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go...

Back