Table saw conundrum....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an odd table saw issue.

I noticed recently that many of my cuts were not square, and at the end of the cut when using a pushstick the workpiece tended to veer off track.

I checked my setup and saw thatthe riving knife was not in line with the blade, so was forcing the piece off line when the cut reache the riving knife.

I have a scheppach ts2010 and the knife is fixed to the same mechanism as the motor, with no adjustment that i can see.

I then discovered that the blade was not square to table, so was twisted and this was what had forced the back of the blade out of line.

Now the motor is connected to the pulley via two plates that are connected with 2 bolts next to the belt. The motor and the pulley are both fixed to the same central plate at the other "end". So for the pulley to be square, the pulley and the motor have to be parallel. This meant adjusting the two plates so their overlap increased, and i could visibly see the pulley spring back into square. However, then the belt is so loose i can pinch i together in the middle, and under any load at all the blades stops. The only way to tighten the belt is to move the pulley and motor apart, which given they are fixed at the other end means the blade is no longer square to the table. I ould move the table, however then the riving knife is still not in line, as its fixed to the same unit the motor / pulley, not the table top.

Rather perplexing and very annoying. Any thoughts? i guess only schedppach 2010 owners would have seen this before. Every day i am wishing more and more i had not bought this, as at 1,200 could have done so much better, however i needed something that would fit in my 4' x 8' shop at the time, and without the extensions this did....

How about fitting a shorter belt, most industrial bearings and power transmission sellers stock lots of different belts in different lengths.

Any ideas where i might order one?

Just seems odd that it would be so different as was ok until recently...

wcndave":1tjyt4qs said:
Any ideas where i might order one?

Just seems odd that it would be so different as was ok until recently...

Most cities/large towns have industrial bearings and power transmission sellers, look int he yellow pages.

Failing that, take the belt off, measure it carefully, then get on google or ebay, and you will find more than you can shake two sticks at.

Glad to see the the notes on the TS2000, prepared byAllan Varnham, Technical manager at NMA Agencies are being used by the people that may need them.
Of course, all the literature that is produced by Allan is on his own understaking to compensate for the sometimes lacking, instructions produced by Scheppach.
Its good to see that Allan does get the credit when its due, it counteracts the negatives when there is a fault.
This post has now been edited to hopefully smooth out the threads following on from here.

menatnma":3gfp4xrp said:
Glad to see the the notes on the TS2000, prepared byAllan Varnham, Technical manager at NMA Agencies are being banded around so freely. I'm, sure that Allan would not object...........that is supposing he's been asked in first place if it would be ok to put in the public domain, so to speak, ....

As I have said on numerous occasions here publicly, NMA and in particular, the superb support provided by Allan by almost anyone who contacts him are the singular most important aspect of support for Scheppach whose literature alone is at best confusing...etc....

I apologise profusely if these were not meant for public sharing in support of the excellent service that NMA provide and would ask if you could verify with Allan that this is ok. If not I will immediately remove the source....and use them solely for setting up my own TS2010 whenever it needs it.

Jim

Thanks. I already have these notes from a previous issue i had, however they dont really seem to help with this particular issue. I will struggle on, thanks again for the time to post advice.

menatnma":2cfxb99n said:
Glad to see the the notes on the TS2000, prepared byAllan Varnham, Technical manager at NMA Agencies are being banded around so freely. I'm, sure that Allan would not object...........that is supposing he's been asked in first place if it would be ok to put in the public domain, so to speak, ....

Oh dear. An ever so slightly OTT and sarcastic response. And there I was, about to order some parts for my Capas 3. Think maybe I'll not bother if that's the attitude to expect.

Roy

doorframe":3m904l9c said:
menatnma":3m904l9c said:

Oh dear. An ever so slightly OTT and sarcastic response. And there I was, about to order some parts for my Capas 3. Think maybe I'll not bother if that's the attitude to expect.

His response semed entirely reasonable to me, given the circumstances. So if I need anything from them, I won't hesitate to order it from them.

It was slightly OTT, however i understand that it would be nice that someone mentions their sources when posting information.

so i would suggest writing "check out this setup guide helpfully provided by NMA" could have been better, however the reaction to not writing that, could have been more moderate ;-)

I am going to go and make a fence now so I can sit on it ;-)

Lord Kitchener":302ydqe6 said:
His response semed entirely reasonable to me, given the circumstances. So if I need anything from them, I won't hesitate to order it from them.

So who's stopping you?

A reasonable response would not have included the sarcasm. A polite PM is all that was needed.

Roy

doorframe":r9sylthc said:
Lord Kitchener":r9sylthc said:

So who's stopping you?

A reasonable response would not have included the sarcasm. A polite PM is all that was needed.

Well, the rudeness had already occured, when the guy's work had been published without his permission. It's fatuous to expect a polite response in those circumstances. As it was, I think his reply was quite restrained and he was entitled to write it the way he did.

Lord Kitchener":2676licb said:
Well, the rudeness had already occured, when the guy's work had been published without his permission. It's fatuous to expect a polite response in those circumstances. As it was, I think his reply was quite restrained and he was entitled to write it the way he did.

So you've never posted a link to something useful to try to help somebody without first taking the time to write to the author to request permission?????????

Yeah right.

Since I appear to be to blame here, even for all the right reasons and since I had originally made it very clear last time these notes were posted that NMA and Allan were the main reason why Scheppach is so popular given the sparseness of information within their handbook ( :lol: ).....I thought it was public domain already who was the source and how highly I thought of them.

It was not my intention to be anything other than helpful nor to spark a bun-fight between members.

I shall remove the offending link and not offer it here again. If anyone wants this information they can contact NMA direct and speak to the very helpful Allan who I'm sure will post them these notes as he did for me.

Enough on this please. :roll:

Jim

As i said, writing "check out this setup guide helpfully provided by NMA" could have been better but i understand why it wasn't written, and that jimi43 has had a lot of problems with this TS, so the fact that the supplier tried to put out one or two pointers to help with what is really a truly awful piece of equipment which we have paid over £900 for is not that philanthropic ;-)

However it is always nice to quote your sources.

On the other hand, i did find the reply rather childish, and could have been "Hi jimi43, i believe this was helpfully provided by Alan at NMA, and it would be great if you could credit him when putting links to it." In my mind the reply did lower my opinion of their professionalism. however not sure how affiliated menatnma is with NMA.

in any case, we are getting off topic, and you guys can just agree to disagree and we can all be friends ;-)

in any case, i managed to move the motor back with a large spring, now just getting the table straight to blade, then resetting the sliding table, and the mitre, and the rip fence... and each one seems to require complete disassemble, a quick adjust, reassemble, then check, and repeat.... it takes about 45 mins to get the sides off, as you just cannot reach the majority of bolts without severe difficulty....

does anyone have any feedback on the Jet-600 or 700? I have only seen rather mixed reviews on the 600, however i think anything would look good now, and the only brands i can find here in Italy are Scheppach and Jet (for hobbyists), otherwise i'd go for the Axminster 200...

jimi43":2tdtl2j8 said:
nor to spark a bun-fight between members.

Enough on this please.

Jim

Pass the buns :lol: :lol:

Ok Jimi... returning to the fence.

Roy

Several members including myself have Xcaliber saws purchased from Woodford in UK.
I've not heard of any significant problems with any of them.
I don't know what the extra cost would be to ship to Italy but it might be worth enquiring about.

If you have 3 phase power available then I would get the 3 phase model only because one member here did have a starter switch /capacitor fail but even so this was a cheap repair that he and I did between us.

Bob

doorframe":27aew1g4 said:
Lord Kitchener":27aew1g4 said:

So you've never posted a link to something useful to try to help somebody without first taking the time to write to the author to request permission?????????

Yeah right.

You seem determined to make an argument out of this. :roll:

The person who was at fault was NOT the person who innocently posted the link. The person who was at fault was the one who made the pdf of the motes and published it originally. I hope that helps you to understand my position, and the position of the guy whose work was copied and broadcast without his consent.

LC. A few posts ago I returned to the fence. Why not do the same.

peace-emoticon-for-msn-04.gif

Latest posts

Back