Table saw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John N

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first table saw for a small workshop. I have been looking at the Laguna fusion f2, looks a good solid machine but slightly put off as only has a 2 yr guarantee, price £1800 and it does not have the sliding table ; although it does have extensions to rear & side and I have limited space anyway.

I would welcome anyone's opinion on the saw and or alternatives, will be running it on single phase.

Cheers

I know nothing of the machine or the company, but after a brief look if I was going to spend that kind of money with that company I'd spend the extra couple of hundred for the bigger motor.

I'd also be wondering how a $1400 machine has become a £1800 machine. Parity I expect because it's not just a case of using the exchange rate, but that's a fair bump for the same saw.

I will always say old is the best way to go. And for that budget the world is your oyster. I quite like wadkin lumps and they made some smaller machines with fantastic quality. I sold a fully restored pk a few years ago for less than your budget.

Good point but knowing very little about the machines I was looking at new models for the customer support, reassurance etc In case something went wrong. Thanks for the advice

DBT85 said:
I know nothing of the machine or the company, but after a brief look if I was going to spend that kind of money with that company I'd spend the extra couple of hundred for the bigger motor.

I'd also be wondering how a $1400 machine has become a £1800 machine. Parity I expect because it's not just a case of using the exchange rate, but that's a fair bump for the same saw.

Two good points, cheers..I did think that about the motor. More head scratching I think :D

For around £2,000 you could probably pick up a used Sedgwick ta315 with sliding table from a machinery dealer which would come with guarantee, quality saw that won't let you down.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone else offering more than a 2-year warranty on their machines, and even then it's not usually worth the paper it's printed on.

I'd personally be looking for a second-hand machine like Wallace suggests unless I had money to throw down the drain, you buy that saw and it'll only be worth £1000 once it's dropped on your doorstep because at the end of the day it's just a generic Chinese/Taiwanese machine that they've slapped their branding on like many other "manufacturers", no offence to Laguna.

Say you buy an old Wadkin, Startrite, SCM L'invincible, Sedgwick or any other quality manufacturer from the past, if you pay a reasonable price for the machine it will always be worth that much provided you don't snap it into two pieces. Yes, there sometimes needs to be work done to these machines to make them as good as new again but none of it is out of the realm of the budding hobbyist over the course of a couple of weekends, if I can do it certainly any other person could. Even if that puts you off, there's plenty of people selling completely refurbished machines that will beat the pants off everything that you could buy new for the same money, our dear friend Wallace being a good example.

And you'll probably have enough left in the pot to buy a few decent blades, which are arguably just as important as the machine itself.

You say you have a small workshop, the Laguna looks to have a pretty large foot print.
Have you given consideration to what else you are planning to have in this “small workshop”?

It weighs 125 kg, I wonder where the other hundred kilo's are missing from, especially since it has a double trunnion, and seemingly a long arbour?
Must be from the table, as my 275DS has a lightweight tin cabinet, single trunnion, and weighs 210kg.
I made a heavy base up for mine to sit on, as the floor was causing issues with it resulting in the sliding fence not being in alignment.

I'd be looking for a 3hp 3 phase 12" cabinet saw for cheap... like a few hundred,
and sticking a hundred quid VFD/inverter on it.
You might need a better spec VFD/inverter if its for a business.
I'm unsure about this, if it needs braking resistor for this.
If you find a suitable single phase motor with the same shaft or same sized pulley and wish to do a motor and switch swap instead, most saws have a nice plate that the motor is mounted on, and it would be a quick swap.
Splash out on a good cyclone if you want to spend some dough, as the dust will cover you without a good DC.
Tom

Last edited:
Looking to buy my first table saw for a small workshop. I have been looking at the Laguna fusion f2, looks a good solid machine but slightly put off as only has a 2 yr guarantee, price £1800 and it does not have the sliding table ; although it does have extensions to rear & side and I have limited space anyway.

I would welcome anyone's opinion on the saw and or alternatives, will be running it on single phase.

Cheers

Hi John

I am also ready to buy table saw and was looking at the Laguna fusion3 .
I found the cost in ireland to be €2,500 / £2,250.
But I have found a company called IGM TOOL & MACHINERY that I'm buying my fusion3 of for €1,970 /£1772 delivered

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200811-215241_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20200811-215241_Office.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi John

I am also ready to buy table saw and was looking at the Laguna fusion3 .
I found the cost in ireland to be €2,500 / £2,250.
But I have found a company called IGM TOOL & MACHINERY that I'm buying my fusion3 of for €1,970 /£1772 delivered

Keith, I hope the deal works well for you, at least through the warranty period. However, the €530 savings might not look so good if anything goes wrong with the saw and you have to rely on IGM for all of your service support. One of my friends bought a new Nikon DSLR camera after shopping around for the lowest price. He bought outside his area, and a year later, when it needed warranty work, he tried to have Nikon USA service it. They refused and he had to send it back to Japan for repair. He saved about $170 on the purchase, but was without the camera for over six months while Nikon repaired it.

Keith, I hope the deal works well for you, at least through the warranty period. However, the €530 savings might not look so good if anything goes wrong with the saw and you have to rely on IGM for all of your service support. One of my friends bought a new Nikon DSLR camera after shopping around for the lowest price. He bought outside his area, and a year later, when it needed warranty work, he tried to have Nikon USA service it. They refused and he had to send it back to Japan for repair. He saved about $170 on the purchase, but was without the camera for over six months while Nikon repaired it.
Hay Mike ,yes your 100% correct im just waiting for email back on confirmation regards warrenty .
I let you no .
Cheers mike

Back