table saw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliuebird

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys/girls new guy here my name was ment to say bluebird ha anyway :mrgreen:
im currently in the process of fitting out my garage as a workshop , projects im looking at doing is as follows , garden gates , kids toys , the odd cabinet now and again .
my budget for the saw is upto £600 may go higher if someone can convince me that i should .
so far i got four options .

kity 416 £360 (is this a good price ) been to view this saw looks very clean and in good condition , paint work looks new

axminster ts200 with all accessories (sliding table and extention table ) but also comes with thicknessplaner ct330 and axminster rdc100h extractor £400 plus delivery apparently like new

scheppach precia 2 18 month old £250 plus delivery

charnwood w619 new £530 delivered

would like a saw that accepts a dado but there hard to find

also been looking for bestcombi 2000 but theres none about
im pretty open to reconsiderations , i just want value for my hard earned cash

if i can keep my costs down im going to butya new router for my table , i been hearing a lot of good things about the tritton tra001 duel mode but i got concerns about fitting it to my prt table because its not on the list of recommended routers so id have to drill out the plate . anyone got any advise on this or should i just buy a trend t11?

the axi looks like the best buy of the lot- the ct330 is worth a couple of hundred itself. I have the ct330, and although noisy is excellent. The extractor is not the best, but it is being thrown in to that package for literally nothing, given the value of the other bits.

I had a 419 in the past, which I liked a lot, but I think it is overpriced at that. I presume 416 is a typo because google doesn't bring it up.

you won't be able to find a great deal that will take a dado, particularly not new. I would use a router instead and not worry about that feature. If you are desperate for a dado, look at older machines- for example startrite (check rather than take my word for it whether they will accept one)

yeap its a typo and there's plenty more to come hahaha

i was thinking the same about the ts200 , it sounds like a barging plus i need a thicknesser so it makes sense but on the other hand i aint going to compromise the quality of my table saw because of added value on other tools . can the ts200 be set up accurately with out having to invest in a new fence ect ? any members care to give me some feed back on the saw please ?

bliuebird":1dcm3nwk said:
yeap its a typo and there's plenty more to come hahaha

i was thinking the same about the ts200 , it sounds like a barging plus i need a thicknesser so it makes sense but on the other hand i aint going to compromise the quality of my table saw because of added value on other tools . can the ts200 be set up accurately with out having to invest in a new fence ect ? any members care to give me some feed back on the saw please ?

The W619 is effectively a TS200 with a nice stand.

Not seen the Scheppach before, but that looks suspiciously like the TS200 too - but that's probably because Scheppach is Kity now, so it probably is the new Kity 419.

The TS200 can be sorted (I actually got pretty happy with the fence in the last few weeks by flattening the clamp with a file, so that it was pretty much 100% repeatable, before I put a full fence upgrade on). If it is TS200 Mk2, the fence is apparently much better and has a slightly bigger table.

There will always be minor problems though as it is built to a price - but the fundamentals are there (belt drive induction motor, cast iron table).

The forum seems to like the Kity stuff though, so it is probably the safer bet...

Hi there

The best advice I can possibly give you is to think and do your homework, saving a few quid on the purchase can easily be outweighed by the cost of trying to make a pigs ear into a silk purse, believe me I am trying!

I looked at the SIP saws and they were good, well built with good reviews and people giving them praise apart from minor issues on tweaking fences etc and so what did I do, I purchased a Scheppach TISA 5 and have regretted it ever since. Currently I am trying to make it cut square by throwing away the very sad excuse for a fence that comes with it and trying to fit the Axminster aftermarket fence. This is now also a nightmare because the saw is a tin top and so cannot drill and tap the mounting holes, having to fit ali angle onto which the fence sits and because it is an American job it uses 5/16 unc so the slot for the nuts is 16mm whereas 8mm nuts are 13mm . You are getting the picture, so make a list of must haves and what you want to cut so you know the power and blade size, then look at what out there and listen to the advice of people who have used them for years on these forums and lastly make the right choice first time, if it is to expensive for the budget save a bit more but get it right, don't follow me and ignore some good advice.

Just for info, I have The Axminster fence upgrade, and it fits the TS200 fine, and taps into the cast iron edge without any drama.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your advice , taking it all on board .
Thinking of upping my budget a little there's a refurbished Excalibur 10" 3hp for sale , it's £800 plus postage .
Anyone got any info on it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,503
Spectric":6938thdy said:
Currently I am trying to make it cut square by throwing away the very sad excuse for a fence that comes with it and trying to fit the Axminster aftermarket fence. This is now also a nightmare because the saw is a tin top and so cannot drill and tap the mounting holes, having to fit ali angle onto which the fence sits and because it is an American job it uses 5/16 unc so the slot for the nuts is 16mm whereas 8mm nuts are 13mm .

Roy
Am I right in thinking you have recently bought my DVDs? If so, have you got as far as watching WE10 yet? There is a superb home-made fence on it, that is as rock solid as a Beismeyer and will probably cost you less to make than the Axi upgrade. It can be fitted to any saw, tablesaw or bandsaw. You might have to replace the front rail, depending on what shape it is, but that is not difficult or expensive to do, just a length of off-the-shelf box section steel and some nuts and bolts. Give me a call if anything is not clear.

bliuebird":1i4o6357 said:
Thinking of upping my budget a little there's a refurbished Excalibur 10" 3hp for sale , it's £800 plus postage .
At 3Hp you are going to need something beefier than a standard 13Amp supply...

bliuebird":28jki5tv said:

That looks suspiciously like the saw I have been using for the last x years. Mine has a HEC plate on it. But afaik they come out of a factory in China with various badges on. If it has MJ-2325G on it somewhere it is the same.

They seem to be quite popular in Aus and NZ as a "contractors saw". That is the only place I could find any info.

Mine has done the Job for somewhere between 10 and 15 years I can't recall exactly.

It isn't worked hard, just plywood and up to 2 inch softwood. I have replaced nothing in that time. But I think you could get a better used saw for £800

Bodgers":28jki5tv said:
At 3Hp you are going to need something beefier than a standard 13Amp supply...

Been using mine on 13 amp with no probs. But for heavy use you may be right.

For Circa £800 take a look at a secondhand Wadkin AGS or a Startrite 275 borth of which are bullet proof machines that will last many lifetimes and perform IMO far better. They will hold their value and the fences are rock solid and accurate.

There are plenty on the auction sites at the mo.

bliuebird":2qkzj8gq said:
Been offered a sip 01332 £450 delivered . How's that sound ?
New/used?

They seem to be well regarded.

Won't run off a 13amp outlet though - needs 16+

used 3 year old.
i got a sparky coming out to wire up my workshop , iv already advised him that i will need to run 16amp machinery

buying a table saw is so time consuming ! i want my life back :evil:

Back