Table Saw Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksrd

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to but my 1st table saw, budget £1000max. New or second hand is OK, so I'm looking on ebay !A Freiend has a Scheppach 4020, but out of my price range.
Any advise welcome, firstly on brand
Scheppach vs Kity vs Charnwood vs Multico etc etc ?
I guess once brand, then it's all on size & accessories, fences etc.

I have seen a Sceppach TS2500 for around £700 second hand, which sounds reasonable, but guess this is 10" .. would a 12" be a better option ?

Any help/advice or pointers would be great.

I'll be using for general DIY, Hobbies, Furniture etc

Thanks
Rich

10" will be fine for the vast majority of work likely to crop up in the categories you mention.

There's quite a bit of stuff about on the second hand market, ebay is probably the best starting place. It's difficult to say that any one make is generally better than any other, as most makers provide stuff that suits various price ranges. If I was in the market for a table saw I would be on ebay looking out especially for recent machines that were no longer needed, rather than the older stuff.

See this thread.

Whatever the make be aware that some will need a 16 amp socket.
Check the footprint size, some are quite big with sliding tables and extension arms etc.
Charnwood, SIP and Axminster saws around the £800-£900 mark are all worth investigating.

You have a reasonable budget, so you should be able to get a good machine, especially as you are prepared to take second-hand. If it has been looked after you should get a very good machine.
The problem with good second-hand machines in that price bracket is that there were once very expensive industrial machines. That means 3-phase. But if you can get a single-pahse, cast-iron saw that meets current safety regs, then that budget will get you a very nice machine thank you.
S

I'd agree with Steve on the value of 2nd hand machinery. I picked up an 18 month old 12" Xcalibur table saw, 230v, 5hp motor for £700. The new machine would have cost circa £2k.

E-bay can be a good source, but scan the forums "For Sale" board, or better still put a "wanted" ad in there. Read the terms first though :D

Cheers

Karl

Back