Table saw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking foradvice on which table saw to get for my workshop. The work is general purpose modelmaking and joinery where accuracy is of some importance. I am looking for a saw that is easy and quick to set for accurate cutting of joints aswell as general sizing of materials.

Just make sure the saw has a trunnion with belt drive and not a direct drive from the motor shaft. There are loads of variables in table saws and one feature I really like is a double T slot on each side of the blade which will let you make zero clearance cross cut sleds for accurate cutting of small components. Left tilting of the blade is more useful than right. Power is important and anything over 1.5 HP should be sufficient.

Last year I replaced an older version of one of these 6D56BAED-512D-4F59-985E-69D6F3881CE2.png
which I had completely run into the ground - probably around 12,000 hours of work - with one of these
43C249D6-6CB9-42B4-8F4A-8C22C20676CD.png
Although my new saw is the version without the router table attached as shown above. I can recommend them both but the AP254 is probably better value for money.

Last edited:
I have a Laguna saw but cant cant recommend it as the customer service from the UK arm of the company is abysmal. If your machine happens to be delivered okay then great but if it has any problems they basically refuse to accept any fault and just state its of an acceptable tollerance for a "woodworking"machine, even if there are documented cases of the same problem being fixed by them in the US etc. Avoid the gamble and dont consider them.

If accuracy is key, I would suggest the incra fence for whatever saw you choose. I have it and the accuracy of the leadscrew system is perfect. I ordered direct from the US during one of their many sales and it was cheaper (including fees etc) than buying here.

I have had the Laguna saw for over 2 years now and it was a major upgrade regarding quick change features and accuracy compared to a previous SIP machine which I had. I believe the SIP and Axminster machines are very similar and made in the same factory with the same erks that I hated.
I cannot comment on after sales service as I have never needed it but nick on here is always very helpful.
My favourite features are the quick release riving knife, the quick lock zero clearance insert and the speed you can change the angle of the blade. The fence has been perfect it's always accurate and very solid.
The only thing I could see as an upgrade is a sliding table but there is one that can fit it

The Startrite 175 and 275 are favourites with Architectural Model Makers. I’ve sold a few to people who do this, and one told me that it was considered the defacto saw for their industry.

@Nick Laguna UK of Laguna saws is usually very active on here, and on the rare occasions when ever there has been an issue with one of his products (inevitable if you make and sell anything) he has always jumped in and offered a very professional and quick solution.

It may help giving more relevant advice on a table saw if you let us know the size of your workshop ,some great saws out there both big and small but pointless giving advice on a larger saw if you only have a small area to work in, one with a sliding table for instance can take up a large amount of space if you want to use its full capabilities:).

Another vote for Startrite. The saw I used when I taught was nearly 50 years old when I retired and still ran faultlessly. When braked motor regs came in a lot of these saws were 40 years old yet still they were deemed worthy of the required upgrade as the build, accuracy and reliability were so good.
I also run in my home workshop of 50 years vintage and again I've had no problems.

Colin

I have had the Laguna saw for over 2 years now and it was a major upgrade regarding quick change features and accuracy compared to a previous SIP machine which I had. I believe the SIP and Axminster machines are very similar and made in the same factory with the same erks that I hated.
I cannot comment on after sales service as I have never needed it but nick on here is always very helpful.
My favourite features are the quick release riving knife, the quick lock zero clearance insert and the speed you can change the angle of the blade. The fence has been perfect it's always accurate and very solid.
The only thing I could see as an upgrade is a sliding table but there is one that can fit it
The axminster trade range saw I posted above - they are actually rebranded Harvey saws - have all of these features as standard. They also have a dado blade: although I haven’t used this much as I prefer the spindle moulder. Most of my joinery shop is running gear from this company. Maybe I am just lucky but I think they are a great outfit and they have been a pleasure to deal with when I have needed parts or advice.

MARK.B., post: 1571322, member: 14863
It may help giving more relevant advice on a table saw if you let us know the size of your workshop ,some great saws out there both big and small but pointless giving advice on a larger saw if you only have a small area to work in, one with a sliding table for instance can take up a large amount of space if you want to use its full capabilities:).

In this instance I am looking for a smaller saw, either bench model of with a stand. I have used a Wadkin dimension saw with the sliding tabe and it would be a wonderful addition. I do have space for both, but the investment must come in stages. So all the great advice received is relevant and am very grateful to all contributors.

I have a recent Bosch compound mitre saw which works well and is accurate and easy to set. Is the Bosch GTS range table saw of a similar quality? It has been said that the fence is difficult to adjust or set accurately. Do any of you have experience with this?

Back