Table Saw build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone any experience/tips/plans on building a table to hold my circular saw and converting it into a table saw ?

Hi Les,

Personally I think you'd be mad to try such a thing. C.Cs are designed to be used upright and there is just too much margin for error in a DIY saw table of this nature. Much better just to spend £100 or so on a budget Ferm/ B & Q table. Or the Wolfcraft type of table.
JMHO

Rgds

Noel

Les,

'Fraid I must concur with Noel. By the time you've fitted an NVR switch, made a blade guard etc you'll probably be well on the way to a low budget T/S. And despite the well-known inaccuracies of those machines, they'll still be more accurate, and safer, than an inverted tablesaw IMO. What d'you want to do with an inverted saw that you can't with it the right way up? Perhaps we can point you towards some tips or jigs that'll help?

Cheers, Alf

Les

PLEASE DON'T DO IT. Noel and Alf are spot on.

The CC is probably one of the most underrated tools in the workshop.

To start you off you can do so many things with a CC and, as Alf says, if you hit a problem please ask for advice about jigs etc.

Cheers
Neil

Ok, Ok, I get the message.
I don't have any specific use for a table saw, just everyday cutting of timber. Everyone said that they are so wonderful and life would be so much better with one and as I am just starting out in this hobby and SWMBO is not too keen on me buying all the useful toys at once I thought I could make a TS and save some pennies (and get some brownie points, it worked with the shopmade router table)!

I bought one of the Wolfcraft tables to convert my circular saw to a table saw. Ok for doing a few DIY type jobs but not really accurate enough for proper work. If you feel you will need a table saw best to save your pennies and wait. It was not long before I replaced the wolfcraft table with a table saw.

Les, I have done this quite successfully but it was a fair bit of effort.

Secondly, unless you own a high quality CC it probably isn't worth the effort.

There are also safety considerations as mentioned here by others.

Dust extraction is also inferior.

If you are looking for a budget table saw I can recommend the ferm contractors saw : check THIS thread out

Les.... I've done this... kinda sorta....
Now... before the regs open a barrage pointed my way, let me explain...

I bought a cheap and particularly nasty benchtop saw primarily because it cost as much as I could afford at the time, and at the time, I didn't realise JUST how poxy this particular model was. I'll set aside my bripes with it for now. I've built a bench for it to give a far greater rip capacity. This bench was my first real project and I'm currently in the middle of my second major revamp of the thing; in my tiny shop it serves as saw, assembly table and work bench... I can't honestly say it excells at either... but given my lack of space I'm kinda light on options for alternatives.
In retrospect, I would have been better served if I'd built an ordinary assembly table along with a guide or track for a good quality cc to run on backing up cutting capability with something like a half decent band saw.
For now, I'm stuck with it... but I wouldn't recommend it; far too many compromises....

I have to agree with everybody else, I have seen the end result of a CC clamped inverted into a workmate, not pretty!!

Bean

I know I'm gonna get shot down in flames here but......

I was looking for a portable "table saw" similar to the DW7 something or other. I couldn't justify the cost of the DW so was looking at the Triton compact. Having read many "gripes" about it, I plumped for the the Wolf Mastercut 1000 to use with my Skilsaw.

I must admit that its primary use is for ripping down panels during kitchen refits but I'm pleasantly surprised at the accuracy and repeatability of that accuracy when the cc is constantly mounted and demounted. It has all the safety features of my Rexon table saw but is extremely portable (if you've got a van that is :lol: )

As a site tool, I would highly recommend it although I haven't plucked up the courage to mount my Freud 1/2" router in it yet :eek:

Col

Back