table saw blues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I purchased a 'nu-tool' 10 inch table saw a while back and have been reasonably happy with it - that was until I saw norm cut dados effortlessly with a stacked head cutter and thought to myself that I had to get a set up like that.
To keep it short I couldn't find a supplier in britain who even new what I was 'rabbeting' on about and I ended up importing one from America. Great I thought now I can cut dados as easily as norm - sadly not the case as the arbor on my machine isn't long enough to accomodate the stacked head unit - almost but not quite. Has anyone got a solution or am I destined to use it as a workshop wall ornament?

unfortunately, its going to be a wall ornament. Arbors on European machines are specifically designed short so that dado-heads can not be used.

I'm a newbie so don't have all the details, but its something do do with health and safety regulations requiring that the "safest" tool be used for the job. I suppose a dado-head saw is not considered as safe as a router table. In effect, a dado-head cutter is illegal

A possibe alternative would be to find a supplier of "wobble blades" for your table saw. These use eccentric washers to slant the balde at an adjustable angle, so producing a cut of varying width.

I know I've seen a web page for a UK supplier of wobble-saw blades, but can not remember where

Sorry I havn't got the time to reply to you proberly (got to go out like 5mins ago) but there was a recent thread about this here

btw welcome to the forums :D

P:S That Norm has a lot to answer for :roll:

Jim,

The only other option would be to save up for a Unisaw (heck of an expensive dado head though). There's a guy importing them into the UK and rewiring 'em. Better save up quick though, as I reckon there's a good chance someone'll put him out of business on legal grounds. After all, he's selling a machine that doesn't comply with the regulations. :oops:

Now, when am I going to hear of a Normite who actually reads a UK-relevant woodworking book or magazine before they go rushing out for their first table saw? I'm afraid I'm going to be doomed to disappointment :wink: Like Charley says; Norm has a lot to answer for.

Cheers, Jester
Laying odds that at least one of you Normites will hit this board running, begging to be told the contact details for this guy :p

H`MMmmmmmmmmm,

that old table saw that I hardly use anymore must be worth a few quid probally more than a unsed preston plane still in a box as it got a extended arbour to take dodo cutters I mean dado cutters and a shaper block.

Would not like try a shaper block on it as thoose knives throw towards you(rembers back to the time he left a steel rule on the sawtable and ended up stuck in the door).

I know how you feel. I want a dado blade aswell :roll:

They are available from machine mart (In the UK) But won't fit modern saws.

How much did you pay for your Dado head including p&p ??

if you find a way to convert your saw LET ME KNOW

hi folks,
If you have a look in this month's issue of "Good Woodworking", in the classifieds there an ad for a guy who imports,rewires and sells saws "just like norm's!!"
Hope this helps and the best of luck!
Graham

:D Hi all. My first post - sorry for butting in.
The PUWER regs apply to the workplace and not the DIY user. For example, at work we use a high pressure washer to clean vehicles and have to be trained to use it. I have the same thing in my garage and use it straight from the box. Clear as mud?

I read in the FEB 2003 edition of woodworking magazine under the woodworking terminology section that under Wobble Saw that their use in UK is in fact ILLEGAL. Maybe someone could tell John Revell as he had one on the Workshop John Built.

Back