Table saw blade width

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter1182

Reaction score
I'm quite new to woodworking, i'm wanting to cut a peice of ash so that it has a 1mm wide grove that is 20mm deep all of the way down the length of it. The grove will be following the grain. I'm wondering if anyone on here knows of a blade that i could buy that would have the cutting width of 1mm and would be sutable to cut this groove allong the grain of ash wood.

Thanks for any help,
Martin

I think all table saw blades are minimum 2mm wide. I have a Proxxon saw - the modellers type and even that has a 2mm wide blade so think you might struggle.

A bandsaw would do it though in a couple of passes. Not sure what else.

personally, i would do it by hand. Either a handsaw down to a depth line at each end of the piece, or if you were so inclined, you could make a scratch stock. If it were me, I would be tempted to use something to start the saw cut, eg a marking gauge.

I forgot to mention that the piece of ash is 1 foot long, i dont have a hak saw that is long enough. Do they exsist? I would still much prefer a table saw that could cut 1mm thick, i hope they exsist haha.

I'm intrigued,

1. Can you put this challenge in context, what's the project and how does this piece fit into it?
2. When you say a 20mm groove, do you mean you want to cut completely through a 20mm thick piece of wood, or you want a 20mm deep groove in a thicker piece of wood?

Custard

How long is the length - most bandsaws won't cut more the 12" i.e. with the piece held vertical?

Could do it with a backed saw of the correct thickness and a straight piece of timber as a guide?

Rod

The easiest way to do this is to fabricate it.
Rout a 20 x 1mm rebate along the edge, then glue on the other side to make the groove.
You won't find a tablesaw with a 1mm kerf. I suppose you might find a slotting cutter, but whether it wold have sufficient depth to cut 20mm is another matter.

The scratchstock suggested above is another feasible route, I suggest.

Well one rather complicated way is the use a 2mm TS blade then cut it down the middle with a 1mm Bandsaw blade then stick the 2 halves together?

Rod:)

Sorry i'm completly new to all of this. Its 1mm wide grove that is to be cut 20mm deep, the wood is 35mm thick and 1 foot long (305mm). This grove also has to be as acurattly straight as i can get it, its goint to be placed in the center of the ash that is 25mm wide, so about 17.5mm from either edge.

I cant fabricate it :(

Martin

Normally I would suggest a slotting cutter to do this but they only go down to 1.5mm (if someone knows where to by a 1mm cutter use that) so in this situation I would clamp on an offcut for a fence an scrape round with the edge of a 1mm cabinet scraper until I got to the desired depth.
Does it need to be very accurate?

If you wait a bit longer I recon Steve will come up with a jig for the bandsaw, do you have one with a 1' depth of cut?

Oryxdesign":bup4pgzz said:
I would clamp on an offcut for a fence an scrape round with the edge of a 1mm cabinet scraper until I got to the desired depth.

How thick is a hack saw blade? You could easily grind an old blunt blade as a scraper.

I know it's already been suggested and already been said it can't be done. But the best way to do this would be to cut the piece in two, cut the groove and glue back together.

Just use a suitable handsaw! Make some cuts into some scrap, measure the kerfs, and choose one closest to the required 1mm. Mark the position with a marking gauge, fairly heavily. Start the cut at the far end, lowering the blade towards the work. A piece of tape on the saw will let you know when you are getting close to the depth required.

hunter1182":wv009z1a said:
its goint to be placed in the center of the ash that is 25mm wide, so about 17.5mm from either edge.

Martin

Quite tricky this. Andy is handy (sorry) with hand saws but I would not like to get that cut 20mm deep and dead square, straight etc.
A conventional scratch blade will not support itself that deep, but imagine a basic card/cabinet scraper on edge, fixed into a block and with a fence 12mm from it. I reckon that has potential. And note the 12mm... measure twice remember :wink:
A thin-kerf blade in a bandsaw will do it well (against a good deep fence) but you'll need a big 'un, mine is max 11" but I would totally trust it to do this.

I think we need to understand better what you are trying to end up with and what the constraints are.

hunter1182":1drpfc0n said:
Sorry i'm completly new to all of this. Its 1mm wide grove that is to be cut 20mm deep, the wood is 35mm thick and 1 foot long (305mm). This grove also has to be as acurattly straight as i can get it, its goint to be placed in the center of the ash that is 25mm wide, so about 17.5mm from either edge.

I cant fabricate it :(

Martin

I'm afraid I can't offer a solution to how to cut a 20mm deep, 1mm wide groove, but would like to point out that there seems a bit of confusion regarding your measurements! You say the groove will be in a face that's 25mm wide, but then say it'll be about 17.5mm from either edge. Surely that would mean it's going on the face that's 35mm wide (i.e. the 35mm thickness you refer to)? Not trying to nitpick or anything, just want to make sure you're clear on what face of the piece of wood you actually want to cut the groove in!

Also, if you're cutting a groove 1mm wide in your wood and your wood is 35mm wide, if it's to be in the centre, the sides of the groove will be 17mm from either edge, not 17.5mm. Again, not nitpicking, just wouldn't want to see you measure slightly wrong and end up with the groove slightly off centre, as in a piece only 35mm wide, a 0.5mm error could be noticeable or problematic!

Good luck with it, hope you find a solution that works!

And I'm also curious as to what it's for!

Back