Table saw blade width

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then why can't you fabricate it?
You could even fabricate it using a 1mm piece of veneer to make the groove.. Elm or brown oak would contrast very nicely.
Just a thought.
S

Ah
Now we know what it's for we can put it all into contest.

Well the groove does not have to be 1mm, does it? It can be any width really. So you could use a modeller's table saw - I believe the kerf is something like 1.6mm. I have a 2.something Thin Kerf blade on my own standard cabinet tablesaw. That would still give you only .5mm clearance each side of a 1mm blade. And if you really do want as narrow a groove as humanly possible, Simon's 1.5mm slotter is your best bet, assuming its diameter will give you sufficient depth of cut.
S

Steve Maskery":2rmsejiv said:
Ah
Now we know what it's for we can put it all into contest.

Well the groove does not have to be 1mm, does it? It can be any width really. So you could use a modeller's table saw - I believe the kerf is something like 1.6mm. I have a 2.something Thin Kerf blade on my own standard cabinet tablesaw. That would still give you only .5mm clearance each side of a 1mm blade. And if you really do want as narrow a groove as humanly possible, Simon's 1.5mm slotter is your best bet, assuming its diameter will give you sufficient depth of cut.
S

It does have to be narrow, the friction holds it all together in my bag. 1.6mm kerf maybe enough although I cant find one on the internet, could you link me to one? The folding bucksaw is a very traditional saw that simply shouldn't be fabricated, i want to keep it traditional, made from just 4 pieces of wood.

Martin

Steve Maskery":3vcsp0p0 said:
OK, that's fair enough. But if you want to be traditional, why not make it the traditional way? They would not have been made with a slotter or tablesaw, but sawn by hand, surely? Good hand practice...

Here's a TK blade. I don't know if it would fit your machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-CRAFTPR ... 069wt_1147

Thanks so much for the TK blade link, I really appreciate it
I don't think I'm good enough with a hand saw.

My last question is what table saw would you recommend that fits this balde as I don't have one as of yet. I will also want to use it for other wood projects of course :D

Martin

hunter1182":1y4juw7z said:
I don't think I'm good enough with a hand saw.

Nonsense! :) You don't know until you try. Get some scrap and practise, practise, practise. It won't take long. I bet by the time you've done a couple of dozen you can saw a line good enough for what you want. Just do it slowly.

hunter1182":1y4juw7z said:
My last question is what table saw would you recommend that fits this balde as I don't have one as of yet. I will also want to use it for other wood projects of course :D
Well any machine with a 20mm arbor. OK, That's not very helpful. Most TS come with a 30mm arbor in the UK and 5/8 in the US. Some, like my Xcalibur, can take both. But this is a whole new can of worms! It all depends on your budget and space available.

Now how's about this for a good idea?
Make the saw up with handles that do not have slots at all. Just temporary ones. Then use the saw to cut slots in your proper handles. The kerf will be exactly right!

Steve, you are a genius.
:)

Back