Table Saw Blade - planer finish possible?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljac133

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a table saw blade that will produce such a good cut that I can get by without a planer/thicknesser for the time being, and not be spending hours with a hand plane. I actually quite enjoy using my hand planes, but it's taking me quite a long time to get decent straight/flat edge to edge joints with my No. 6 (the longest I've got).

Alan Peters talks (in his book 'Cabinet Making, The Professional Approach') about a fine table saw blade that produces cuts which require 'no further attention' off the saw. This is in reference to stack laminated sections on his low back chair (rip cuts) which he joins with plywood tongues - this sounds ideal to me

Any preferred brands/types? This forum served me well pointing me to tuffsaws for my bandsaw.

My saw table is an Axminister TS-200

You could try a fine blade or one for cutting laminate. You want as many teeth as possible such as 72 or 96 depending upon the size. If you cut slowly it will produce a good finish but it will still need planing or sanding.

+1

I use an 80 tooth blade on my 10" TS and it produces a superb finish even on rip cuts. However you need to be careful during the part of the procedure when the wood has passed the front of the blade but still has that last few inches to go. That's when you're at risk of the rear bit of blade scoring the wood and ruining the finish, necessitating the plane. Careful feather board and push stick use can avoid this.

Any clues on brands? The Freud one The Bear mentions only seems to be available in 10" and I need eight (they do make it - LM74R008, but no-one seems to stock it)

What are the Wealden ones like - looking at the B20064TL. It has a lot more teeth than the Freud, I guess ripping would just be slow?

Back